A while back, I saw instructions for crocheting bobbin holders to hold bobbins in position and out of the way while not in use.  It was more than just a strip that you pin to your cushion on each end (as you might with a ribbon)---these had openings in the crochet to insert the bobbin "handles".  I failed to bookmark the link, and now I can't find it, even with a search.  Any leads?

Views: 91

Replies to This Discussion

I have several of those that I made many years ago. but I can't remember exactly what I did. It is a question of making a chain. Then the 2nd row going back is treble crochet space appropriately. Different styles of continental bobbins have a ball or lump at the bottom. Belgian torchon have a fairly large ball. Bayeux or modern Danish have a relatively small lump. So the strip needs to work with the kind of bobbins you are using. If the spaces between the treble crochet is too large the bobbins will slip out. If too small you have to fight and struggle to get them into the strip. I think it is a matter of experimenting. Make a short strip 3 inches long and test it with your bobbins. I have some made in crochet thread, and some in yarn. The yarns ones are stretchy, which is actually useful.

What's a good length (number of bobbins) for each strip?  My bobbins are Dutch style, with an elongated, "pointed" ball.

What’s your usual number of bobbins? Probably 6 would be good. You don’t want it to be inwieldy.

I've just started, so I don't have a "usual" yet.  I can tell you, though, that I plan to progress toward styles (Russian, Idrija, etc.) that typically use a dozen or more at a time.

Fredi said:

What’s your usual number of bobbins? Probably 6 would be good. You don’t want it to be inwieldy.

I think the strip should have at least 12 spaces. You would need several of them.

RSS

Translate This Site

Notes

HOW THE SOFTWARE WORKS

Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 7:07pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Dec 9, 2014.

PHOTOS

Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 7:29pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Sep 2, 2014.

How to Post a Long Article

Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator Mar 7, 2013 at 4:47pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Mar 7, 2013.

COMMUNITY GUIDELINES

Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 6:58pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Dec 20, 2012.

How to embed a video on the IOLI site

Created by Tatman Jan 25, 2012 at 3:26pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Jan 25, 2012.

Groups

Members

Badge

Loading…

Events

Other Events

Laurie Waters has a very substantial EVENTS list on lacenews.

http://lacenews.net/lace-event-calendars/).   

EU Cookie Directive

© 2021   Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service