I'm hooked on DMC thread, mostly Cebelia, possibly for the snob appeal. I also have used Artiste, but prefer something else; any recommendations? I have bought DMC in sizes from 100 to 10 from the late, great American Needlewoman warehouse store, But for fine work in the pulled thread lace embroidery I just use white tatting cotton which is size 70 or 80. 

Views: 60

Replies to This Discussion

For Hardanger, I like the DMC pearl cotton, and I will probably use that when I start working on Lefkaritika.  For everything else (so far), I prefer DMC cordonnet special, with size depending on the pattern, the project, and the type of lace.  My favorite size for tatting is size 30.  The cordonnet special comes in only three colors now--white, off-white, and ecru.  Most U.S. suppliers carry only the white and ecru.  I've never tried Cebelia or the Artiste.

Cordonnet Special is real nice. If I could just go wild in a completely stocked thread store I would get it in several sizes. I bet it would be excellent for pulled thread embroidery. 

For tatting, I started learning with #10 thread then worked down to #100. Made some very delicate edging samples, but I've lost touch with tatting recently, can't remember how to work with 2 shuttles or add thread when it runs out.

I generally stick to white for lace, but sometimes ecru; I did make a lace crochet edging once in Traditions baby colors - but can't recommend Traditions for anything. It's inferior. Oh and I made a lace crochet edging for a dishtowel in red #10 thread that was lying around the house.

Have never tried Hardanger work.

Trinity said:

For Hardanger, I like the DMC pearl cotton, and I will probably use that when I start working on Lefkaritika.  For everything else (so far), I prefer DMC cordonnet special, with size depending on the pattern, the project, and the type of lace.  My favorite size for tatting is size 30.  The cordonnet special comes in only three colors now--white, off-white, and ecru.  Most U.S. suppliers carry only the white and ecru.  I've never tried Cebelia or the Artiste.

I think Holly Van Sciver in New York carries every size of DMC cordonnet special currently available, and for a good price, too.  I started off tatting with #80 tatting cotton and got very frustrated very quickly because it breaks so easily.  That's when I went to heavier thread, eventually settling on the #30 (occasionally #50).  When I teach someone to tat, though, I start them off on #10, as you did.

It's been a while since I tatted, as well, but I'm itching to get back to it (along with my Hardanger and all of the new laces I'm trying to learn).  I've always tatted with shuttle and ball, never two shuttles or a needle.  I just can't wrap my brain around needle tatting.  I've done a lot of knitting and crochet, but never lace.

Those edgings of yours are very pretty!  I need to collect some of my work and take some photos to post.

In my experience, Llizbeth crochet threads are comparable to DMC in quality and sizes. Lisbeth comes in #20, 40, and 80. There are also colors.

I also like Aurifil and  Sulky cotton quilting threads. They are very strong, and the finer ones are used for machine quilting. They also come in beautiful colors, 100% cotton. Find them online be searching for Sulky cotton threads and Aurifil cotton threads. The #30 is comparable to DMC #100, and the #50 is finer.     Look here:

http://laceioli.ning.com/group/threads/page/thread-size-for-prickin... 

And now that I've spent time on Yvette Stanton's blog and YouTube channel at vettycreations.com.au , I now know that cotton "Hardanger" fabric and pearl cotton are the WRONG things to use for Hardanger.  Traditional Hardanger has always been done on linen fabric (about 36 threads per inch/14 threads per centimeter) using linen thread.  If you find any DMC linen thread, AVOID IT!  Horrible stuff!  Use Bockens or Londonderry instead.

RSS

Translate This Site

Notes

HOW THE SOFTWARE WORKS

Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 7:07pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Dec 9, 2014.

PHOTOS

Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 7:29pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Sep 2, 2014.

How to Post a Long Article

Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator Mar 7, 2013 at 4:47pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Mar 7, 2013.

COMMUNITY GUIDELINES

Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 6:58pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Dec 20, 2012.

How to embed a video on the IOLI site

Created by Tatman Jan 25, 2012 at 3:26pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Jan 25, 2012.

Groups

Members

Badge

Loading…

Events

Other Events

Laurie Waters has a very substantial EVENTS list on lacenews.

http://lacenews.net/lace-event-calendars/).   

EU Cookie Directive

© 2021   Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service