Hi Kids!

Hoping to get an explanation of "Oblique Half Stitch" which is on a Dutch set of bookmark patterns I'm doing, and the website referred to, "Landelijke Organisatie Kant Kunst Nederland" is helpful, but the translation is a little wonky in my Google machine, so I'm asking here. Thanks in advance for the info!!

Views: 225

Replies to This Discussion

Joan, can you please copy and paste the text you need translated? I have several Dutch friends to ask. On the website you name, the only bookmarks I see are not Torchon but 's Gravenmoer. Might that make a difference?

Hi Sally!

Well actually the bookmark pattern is several years old, and I don't see it on there either. It was a 7-page packet called a rainbow of bookmarks "een regenboog van boekenleggers" and it actually doesn't specify if it's torchon or what. I'm just working off the graph & the picture, and the subtitle says "met de schuine netslag" which is oblique half stitch.

Here's the Dutch text for oblique half-stitch:

Vier paren:
Alle paren moeten 2 x gedraaid liggen.
Klos met de middelste twee paren een netslag, draai beide paren en zet de bovenste speld.
Klos met het rechtse paar twee netslagen naar links, draai het looppaar en leg dit weg.
Klos met een nieuw rechter paar in netslag naar links, draai het looppaar en leg dit weg.
Draai het rechterpaar, zet de rechterspeld en klos twee netslagen naar links, draai het looppaar en zet de onderste speld.
Draai het rechterpaar en leg dit paar weg.
Draai het naastliggende paar en sluit de onderste speld in met een netslag en draai deze beide paren.

Joan

I think what you describe is probably s'Gravenmoers, a variant of torchon.  I have not taken any classes in this form but I think I understand one part of it. The black shows the normal course of the weaver in torchon (the sequence in which pairs are worked). The green lines show how the sequence in which pairs are worked varies in s'Gravenmoers. It will produce a diamond shape which has vertical straight lines plus the usual diagonal lines. In normal torchon, the same diamond worked in half stitch would produce horizontal straight lines, with the usual diagonal lines.

Administrator said:

Joan

I think what you describe is probably s'Gravenmoers, a variant of torchon.  I have not taken any classes in this form but I think I understand one part of it. The black shows the normal course of the weaver in torchon (the sequence in which pairs are worked). The green lines show how the sequence in which pairs are worked varies in s'Gravenmoers. It will produce a diamond shape which has vertical straight lines plus the usual diagonal lines. In normal torchon, the same diamond worked in half stitch would produce horizontal straight lines, with the usual diagonal lines.

Hello

yes indeed it is the 's Gravenmoers lace.

I have taken a course of this lace in Holland and I do have a diagram on how ot work it as it is not easy if you do not know how.

it is not easy to understand the text even if you speak Dutch as it does not mention that you have to start athe next row from the other side instead of returning as in Torchon. You must leave the pair open in' wait. '.

Yoiu close the pin (e.g. left)  with the next pair coming from the opposite side.  (e.g.rightside )

Have you the book 'kant uit Vlaanderen en 'sGravenmoer : De schuine netslag ? there is an explanation in English .  pg 75 . 

Joan Williams Near said:

Hi Sally!

Well actually the bookmark pattern is several years old, and I don't see it on there either. It was a 7-page packet called a rainbow of bookmarks "een regenboog van boekenleggers" and it actually doesn't specify if it's torchon or what. I'm just working off the graph & the picture, and the subtitle says "met de schuine netslag" which is oblique half stitch.

Hoping to get an explanation of "Oblique Half Stitch" 

Here's the Dutch text for oblique half-stitch:

Vier paren:
1.  Alle paren moeten 2 x gedraaid liggen.
2.  Klos met de middelste twee paren een netslag, draai beide paren en zet de bovenste speld.
3.  Klos met het rechtse paar twee netslagen naar links, draai het looppaar en leg dit weg.
4.  Klos met een nieuw rechter paar in netslag naar links, draai het looppaar en leg dit weg.
5.  Draai het rechterpaar, zet de rechterspeld en klos twee netslagen naar links, draai het looppaar en zet de onderste speld.
6.  Draai het rechterpaar en leg dit paar weg.
7.  Draai het naastliggende paar en sluit de onderste speld in met een netslag en draai deze beide paren.

By using the Google translator, coupled with  the OIDFA lace terms translator, and using my knowledge of German (related to Dutch), I get this:

Four pairs:

1. All pairs have 2 twists.

2. Work with the middle two pairs a half stitch (CT); twist both pairs and set the upper pin.

3. Work with the right pair two half stitches to the left; twist the weaver pair and leave (no pin).

4. Work with a new right pair in half stitch to the left (how many? – s.a.j.); twist the weaver pair and leave (no pin).

5. Twist the right pair, set the right pin, and work two half stitches to the left; twist worker pair and set the lower pin.

6. Twist right pair and leave (no pin).

7. Twist the adjacent pair and close the lower pin with a half stitch; twist both pairs.

Not having a pattern, I tried anyway to follow these directions to see what would happen. In trying this, I noticed that these directions do not ever have you set a left-hand pin. I wonder if something got left out of their instructions.

I also did some googling and found the stitch referred to as a “diagonal half stitch” which is likely the same as your “oblique half stitch.” On this link, scroll down nearly to the bottom for an explanation and diagram under the word Gravenmoer diagonal stitch.  http://gwydir.demon.co.uk/jo/lace/diamonds.htm

Maybe your lace guild has some books on ‘s Gravenmoer lace that would help you.

Another place to try is to join the Arachne lace forum, which is conducted in English but which has members from all over the world, who could translate and explain with a deeper understanding than I have.  Good luck with your project!

Well first of all it's good to know that what I'm trying to do is 's Gravenmoer & not Torchon! That also means I just might have to buy another book! Yeah!! Haha. And of all the stuff I tried on this stitch, using a pair from further down while "waiting" with the other pair is not one of them! So, I'll go try that! And buy another book!

Thanks so much everyone for your input.

RSS

Translate This Site

Notes

HOW THE SOFTWARE WORKS

Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 7:07pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Dec 9, 2014.

PHOTOS

Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 7:29pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Sep 2, 2014.

How to Post a Long Article

Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator Mar 7, 2013 at 4:47pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Mar 7, 2013.

COMMUNITY GUIDELINES

Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 6:58pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Dec 20, 2012.

How to embed a video on the IOLI site

Created by Tatman Jan 25, 2012 at 3:26pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Jan 25, 2012.

Groups

Members

Badge

Loading…

Other Events

Laurie Waters has a very substantial EVENTS list on lacenews.

http://lacenews.net/lace-event-calendars/).   

EU Cookie Directive

© 2018   Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service