Any suggestions on how to find a carrying bag of some fashion for an avg size cookie pillow?
Thanks much!!

Views: 1130

Replies to This Discussion

This is a picture of my bolster pillow and its cover/carrying case.  It is made of a piece of Marimekko fabric named "Lisko" that I bought in Finland.  That translates to lizard.  The selvedges were sewn together.  Next the other ends were folded over and sewn.  Drawstrings were inserted into the ends and tied.  The cover is wide enough that the middle of the long edges can be pinned to the ends of the bolster when it is transported.  It is simple.  It is easy to grab and carry this along with other things to a demonstration.  I usually make a loose knot in the drawstrings when I pull them tight to carry it..  

The cover/carrying case for my block pillow is made of 2 pieces of fabric.  The outer piece was given to me by a coworker when she returned from a business trip in SE Asia many years ago.  She went because of her technical knowledge but was not permitted to attend business meetings because she was female, so she had to go shopping and site seeing!  The outer fabric is folded over the ends.  There is a layer of batting between the two pieces of fabric under the block pillow.  If you use a heavy denim or upholstery fanric, two layers are not required.  Each end has a drawstring that is sewn along the edge where it extends so that it cannot pull out.  

Fold the two long sides into the center.  Then fold one end in and tie the drawstring around the pillow.  Repeat with the other side.  The overlap encloses the pillow and the work on the pillow. 

Several years ago, Anita Wild showed Doris Southard Lace Guild how to make drawstring bags for lace pillows.  These were based on small drawstring bags that were intended to hold a small project like tatting or tools.  

The drawstring pillow covers had two circles of fabric for the outside and two smaller circles for the inside.  Each pair of circles was sewn together and seams were turned inside. A casing is sewn in the perimeter of the larger pair.  The larger circle pair forms the outside.  A piece of batting the size of the pillow is placed in the center.  Then the smaller circle pair is placed on top.  The layers are sewn together as if you are cutting a pie.  Then when the pillow is set in the middle, there are little "pockets" between the two circle pairs.  The pockets were a nice idea, but in this case didn't work well for me.  We found that a single drawstring around a large pillow cover like this doesn't work well.  I've decided to make mine in 4 segments which makes them much more manageable.  

Subsequently I decided to use favorite fabric from some clothes in the back of the closet.  I measured the circumference of the skirt and divided by pi to figure out the diameter of the circle I needed to cut for the bottom.  The sides of the cover need to be half the diameter plus the height of the pillow plus some for seams, drawstring casing and some extra for the height of your work on the pillow and overlap.  The advantage of having a circular bottom and straight sides is that there is less fabric folding over the pillow and drawstrings are shorter.  

I will attach a file which describes the process of figuring out how to cut a piece of fabric to make pillow covers with straight sides and circular bottoms.  BobbinLacePillowCoversStoryProblem.pdf

I just cut a  couple of circles a bit larger than the pillow, and made very long handles that went right around/underneath, as pillows are very heavy (well, my straw-filled ones are!) and I did not want the handles to tear off!  Nothing fancy, like some covers I have seen, but serviceable, and kept the pillow and contents/lace clean and safe!

RSS

Translate This Site

PAGES

Pages for Needle Lace

Pag    search

Beginners     search

Notes

HOW THE SOFTWARE WORKS

Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 7:07pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Dec 9, 2014.

PHOTOS

Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 7:29pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Sep 2, 2014.

How to Post a Long Article

Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator Mar 7, 2013 at 4:47pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Mar 7, 2013.

COMMUNITY GUIDELINES

Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 6:58pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Dec 20, 2012.

How to embed a video on the IOLI site

Created by Tatman Jan 25, 2012 at 3:26pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Jan 25, 2012.

Members

Events

Other Events

Laurie Waters has a very substantial EVENTS list on lacenews.

http://lacenews.net/lace-event-calendars/).   

EU Cookie Directive

© 2021   Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service