What gold thread is easiest to use for bobbin lace?

The contest at the IOLI convention in Sacramento calls on associations with the California Gold Rush and requires the use of at least two gold threads. Some gold threads are very difficult to work with. What are the easiest gold threads to work with or is there some other clever way of achieving goldness, such as blending filament, that would not be a nightmare of breakage and snarls?

Devon

Views: 157

Replies to This Discussion

I'm interested to hear this also.

I got some gold passing thread from Holly Van Sciver.   Passing thread is gold foil wrapped silk thread so it bends and shapes more easily than plain metal wire which is solid metal.   That said, these threads are very expensive and used sparingly. For Gilian Dye's Early Lace class, we can bring gold metallic thread (a synthetic thread). 

I remember seeing several laces at the Art Institute of Chicago that were made in this type of thread. 17th century, I think. I can't imagine that it is easy to work with. You would have to be careful that the gilded strip wouldn't unwind as you worked.

Has anyone tried gold metallic embroidery thread like Madeira 15, or 30 or 40 for that matter?  My teacher sold me some Gold Rush thread that comes in metallic.  I have been using a royal but she didnt want me to have all the threads be of this so some are lizbeth cordonnet 20.  It is harder to work with and pretty thick.  It is difficult because it is not smooth so it grabs itself, harder to tension.  Now I am switching to a part of my project that is metallic gold so I really dont want to add a non metallic.  I am eyeing some Madeira 15 I have to use along with the gold rush.  I mean some pairs will be the gold rush and some will be Madeira? I guess it doesnt hurt to try.

Thanks!

Lisa

RSS

Translate This Site

Notes

HOW THE SOFTWARE WORKS

Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 7:07pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Dec 9, 2014.

PHOTOS

Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 7:29pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Sep 2, 2014.

How to Post a Long Article

Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator Mar 7, 2013 at 4:47pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Mar 7, 2013.

COMMUNITY GUIDELINES

Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 6:58pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Dec 20, 2012.

How to embed a video on the IOLI site

Created by Tatman Jan 25, 2012 at 3:26pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Jan 25, 2012.

Groups

Members

Badge

Loading…

Other Events

Laurie Waters has a very substantial EVENTS list on lacenews.

http://lacenews.net/lace-event-calendars/).   

EU Cookie Directive

© 2018   Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service