Recently I attended a lace group.  A lady that teaches tatting was there and was pretty much appalled at my tatting method or technique.  She told me to never teach anyone to tat. Another lady said "You think if someone wanted to learn to tat she should tell them no?"  Of coarse her answer was no that I should teach anyone that wants to learn.

This conversation, which I can't stop thinking about, has done nothing but lead me to ask more questions.  So I started searching the internet and cannot find a video or pictures of how I tat.  I never loop the shuttle thread around my shuttle hand or my ball thread hand before making a stitch.  

This is how I taught to make a ring, the thread is wrapped my hand and pinched with thumb and forefinger. Then with the shuttle hand, the thread coming off the shuttle is held with my last three fingers, my thumb and index are holding the shuttle. The words she used to teach me the motion of the shuttle were, the bunny hops under and over the log then jumps into the hole.  hahah Sounds funny saying it at this age.

Please don't tell me I am tatting wrong, I got enough of that to last a life time.  Also I believe there are different ways of getting the same outcome. This is the way I was taught and I have been doing it since the 80's so I am not going to change my method. This method is ingrained into me at this point. Sorry I wanted to get this out so it won't end up being the conversation because it seems to always go back there.

Here are my questions:

How many shuttle tatting methods are out there?

Do different styles of tatting have anything to do with regions? 

Is there an old style or new modern techniques?

What method am I using? 

Thanks for reading this and taking the time to reply. :)

Views: 3593

Replies to This Discussion

Has everyone heard about this?

ANNOUNCEMENT
TATTING
FROM CONCEPT TO CONCEPTUAL ART
AN EXHIBIT TO BE HELD FROM June 3rd 2016 to April 1, 2017
AT THE LACIS MUSEUM OF LACE AND TEXTILES
2982 ADELINE STREET, BERKELEY, CALIFORNIA 94703

With the objectives of:

* acknowledging TATTING as a viable and creative lace making technique.
* creating awareness of tatting and its proliferation through both Eastern and Western cultures.

Supported by LMLT and Rebecca Jones, celebrating her rescue of tatting from a “lost and forgotten art”, over 30 years ago, with the first publication of her book The Complete Book of Tatting.

The EXHIBIT will include the tools, ephemera and historical pieces from the LMLT collection, tatting studies by Rebecca Jones and contributions to the exhibit from tatting enthusiasts world wide.

ORGANIZED around the following three themes, we soliciting support in the way of submitting objects for exhibition, personal or borrowed, and educational programs to maximize the success of this venture.

Historical and Cultural

The natural progression of the tatted object from a knotted cord to its occurrence in virtually every culture where the simplicity of the structure, the comfort of working and the natural geometric beauty transcended all cultures.

Contemporary

Tatting becomes integrated with the plethora of materials available in the fiber and bead world, expanding the decorative possibilities for home, personal and decorative purposes.

Conceptual

Tatting offers new opportunities to the textile artist, taking the simple knotted stitch into the new areas using new tools, materials and techniques yet to be explored.PARTICIPATION

Welcomed from anyone willing to offer their talents. Initial submissions should be made by June 1, 2015. Based on these submissions, determinations and schedules will be made with consideration given to available facilities.

Facilities: LMLT has extensive class facilities which can easily handle up to 20 students.

Teachers: Contact Erin Algeo <erin@LacisMuseum.org>
with proposals for classes and programs that you can offer at LMLT. Include subject, number of days/hours, maximum number of students and images of related projects and preferred dates. This may include, hands-on classes, lectures, demonstrations on any phase of tatting.

Objects: Contact Jules Kliot <jules@LacisMuseum.org>
with description and images of works of historical interest or personal works you are willing to share. Include dimensions and any special display requirements.

Georgia

Please make this into an EVENT, with just the basic information. http://laceioli.ning.com/events  

Thanks for the info.

Well Hurrah!!

When I've been demonstrating - I bring along a 'try me' pillow.  I don't sit at it, instead I stand up a wee bit away from it and am tatting, some organic piece with size 5 pearl cotton in a bright color.

Let me say --- so much easier to strike up conversation with a tatting shuttle.  Now folks will ask.... " is that tatting' and will be point to my shuttle (or needle) instead of my bobbin pillow.  It's nice to say "yes it is". I estimate that they stay a little longer and will often times will try out the bobbin lace.

I have so much fun!  

good idea

I did a bobbin lace demonstration at a small country town, a few years ago, as we were there on holiday at the time, and I was invited to participate. The lady next to me was a tatter, - so it was Lovely to say "No, - she is tatting. I am making bobbin lace" every time I was asked!!! :)

I blame crossword puzzles for that--they always giver the clue "to make lace" for tatting.

I usually have problems when demonstrating tatting, they always ask if it is crochet.  They goof bobbin lace up to when I demo that.  It's still fun correcting them though.  Sometimes they walk away almost like there embarrassed because they don't know what there talking about..., and usually they don't.  

Elizabeth Ligeti said:

I did a bobbin lace demonstration at a small country town, a few years ago, as we were there on holiday at the time, and I was invited to participate. The lady next to me was a tatter, - so it was Lovely to say "No, - she is tatting. I am making bobbin lace" every time I was asked!!! :)

And I remember a demo I did (doing bobbin laced) where a visitor insisted I was doing tatting, even though a tatter was sitting right next to me. That particular visitor was invested in being an expert on handcrafts and wasn't interested in straightening out her "knowledge".

Lorelei

Carla Greby said:

I blame crossword puzzles for that--they always giver the clue "to make lace" for tatting.

Carollyn Brown said:  I like that explanation very well thought out :)

Carla Greby said:

Shirley, your tatting is just fine (great video). It doesn't matter in the slightest how you do it as long as the finished article is what you want! If you get pleasure from the process and the end result then just keep it that way....your own satisfaction is what is most important!
There are different techniques. It sounds like you were probably taught a technique that proceeds what most of us do today in shuttle tatting. I actually saw it once. To me, it seemed like an awful lot of extra steps to accomplish the same end. But what ever works. You should be proud that you're preserving a vintage method. I would love to see a video of you doing it.

RSS

Translate This Site

Notes

HOW THE SOFTWARE WORKS

Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 7:07pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Dec 9, 2014.

PHOTOS

Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 7:29pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Sep 2, 2014.

How to Post a Long Article

Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator Mar 7, 2013 at 4:47pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Mar 7, 2013.

COMMUNITY GUIDELINES

Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 6:58pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Dec 20, 2012.

How to embed a video on the IOLI site

Created by Tatman Jan 25, 2012 at 3:26pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Jan 25, 2012.

Groups

Members

Badge

Loading…

Events

Other Events

Laurie Waters has a very substantial EVENTS list on lacenews.

http://lacenews.net/lace-event-calendars/).   

EU Cookie Directive

© 2018   Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service