Recently I attended a lace group.  A lady that teaches tatting was there and was pretty much appalled at my tatting method or technique.  She told me to never teach anyone to tat. Another lady said "You think if someone wanted to learn to tat she should tell them no?"  Of coarse her answer was no that I should teach anyone that wants to learn.

This conversation, which I can't stop thinking about, has done nothing but lead me to ask more questions.  So I started searching the internet and cannot find a video or pictures of how I tat.  I never loop the shuttle thread around my shuttle hand or my ball thread hand before making a stitch.  

This is how I taught to make a ring, the thread is wrapped my hand and pinched with thumb and forefinger. Then with the shuttle hand, the thread coming off the shuttle is held with my last three fingers, my thumb and index are holding the shuttle. The words she used to teach me the motion of the shuttle were, the bunny hops under and over the log then jumps into the hole.  hahah Sounds funny saying it at this age.

Please don't tell me I am tatting wrong, I got enough of that to last a life time.  Also I believe there are different ways of getting the same outcome. This is the way I was taught and I have been doing it since the 80's so I am not going to change my method. This method is ingrained into me at this point. Sorry I wanted to get this out so it won't end up being the conversation because it seems to always go back there.

Here are my questions:

How many shuttle tatting methods are out there?

Do different styles of tatting have anything to do with regions? 

Is there an old style or new modern techniques?

What method am I using? 

Thanks for reading this and taking the time to reply. :)

Views: 3669

Replies to This Discussion

Lovely story.  I like that it was 'kind experts' that showed you the slip and slide!!  There's a well known 'mantra' which is very useful when teaching the flip.  Left loose, right tight.  Try that on your husband.  

Sharon said:

I taught myself to tat from a short article in a needlework magazine that had illustrations.  When I went to my first Ring of Tatters Day in the UK back in the 90s, some very kind experts gently explained that I would find it easier if I used a different method, and they showed me the 'slip and slide' method referred to above. It was a lot easier to do it the new way and I appreciated them being so welcome to a young (at the time) newcomer.  I have never done much tatting but that's still how I do it.

As a side note, I attempted to teach my husband to tat as an experiment, because I was considering leading a beginners class in tatting at a knitting retreat I was going to. It was an abysmal failure - my hands can instinctively turn the knot from muscle memory but I couldn't demonstrate it in any understandable way!

My sister and I learned to tat at the same time, from the same teacher, sittng right beside each other in the same class about 30 years ago. Our tatting styles couldn't be more different. I don't think it's a matter of which region you're in (although she does live about 15 miles away from me out in the country) but what works best and is most comfortable for you. As long as your project ends up the way you want it to I say anything goes.


hi patty.. where can i find this video.. if it is for free in the internet?

thanks in advance

claudia
Patty Dowden said:

I have seen discussions about modifying tatting methods for the benefit of those who are physically handicapped and cannot make the more commonly seen methods work.  Sometimes they need contraptions that help them complete the work.

The beauty of the motions, or the order of the movements or which finger does what or does nothing at all cannot be derived from the completed tatting.  Ergo, it does not matter how you make it, only what you make.  

Watching left handed tatters makes my head hurt, but I made a video of the slip an slide method where the left hand holds the shuttle and the right hand is wrapped in reverse of how "normal" tatting is made.  AND IT WORKS!  I am slow as molasses when I do it, but the outcome is not obviously made the "wrong way".

I am the PattyD often quoted, and the only time I suggest a tatter change their style is when they, themselves, are not happy with their tatting.  For me, that's the only reason to try a new method or create a new one.

A one-handed tatter needs some kind of gizmo to take the place of the missing hand.  Dyslexics need a set of motions that they can understand. 

Since I stole the hyperbolic method from the crocheters, there have been lots of aha! moments.  Now, after about 6 years of torturing thread into ruffles, other tatters are trying it for themselves.  I am anxiously awaiting some wonderful new discovery that makes it easier to work or understand, or else adds a new hyperbolic form that I haven't thought of.

Happy Tatting!

http://www.janeeborall.freeservers.com/holdshuttle.pdf

claudia meza said:


hi patty.. where can i find this video.. if it is for free in the internet?

thanks in advance

claudia
Patty Dowden said:

I have seen discussions about modifying tatting methods for the benefit of those who are physically handicapped and cannot make the more commonly seen methods work.  Sometimes they need contraptions that help them complete the work.

The beauty of the motions, or the order of the movements or which finger does what or does nothing at all cannot be derived from the completed tatting.  Ergo, it does not matter how you make it, only what you make.  

Watching left handed tatters makes my head hurt, but I made a video of the slip an slide method where the left hand holds the shuttle and the right hand is wrapped in reverse of how "normal" tatting is made.  AND IT WORKS!  I am slow as molasses when I do it, but the outcome is not obviously made the "wrong way".

I am the PattyD often quoted, and the only time I suggest a tatter change their style is when they, themselves, are not happy with their tatting.  For me, that's the only reason to try a new method or create a new one.

A one-handed tatter needs some kind of gizmo to take the place of the missing hand.  Dyslexics need a set of motions that they can understand. 

Since I stole the hyperbolic method from the crocheters, there have been lots of aha! moments.  Now, after about 6 years of torturing thread into ruffles, other tatters are trying it for themselves.  I am anxiously awaiting some wonderful new discovery that makes it easier to work or understand, or else adds a new hyperbolic form that I haven't thought of.

Happy Tatting!


thanks G!!! i missed your classes.. hope can attend them soon!!!

clau
Georgia Seitz said:

http://www.janeeborall.freeservers.com/holdshuttle.pdf

claudia meza said:


hi patty.. where can i find this video.. if it is for free in the internet?

thanks in advance

claudia
Patty Dowden said:

I have seen discussions about modifying tatting methods for the benefit of those who are physically handicapped and cannot make the more commonly seen methods work.  Sometimes they need contraptions that help them complete the work.

The beauty of the motions, or the order of the movements or which finger does what or does nothing at all cannot be derived from the completed tatting.  Ergo, it does not matter how you make it, only what you make.  

Watching left handed tatters makes my head hurt, but I made a video of the slip an slide method where the left hand holds the shuttle and the right hand is wrapped in reverse of how "normal" tatting is made.  AND IT WORKS!  I am slow as molasses when I do it, but the outcome is not obviously made the "wrong way".

I am the PattyD often quoted, and the only time I suggest a tatter change their style is when they, themselves, are not happy with their tatting.  For me, that's the only reason to try a new method or create a new one.

A one-handed tatter needs some kind of gizmo to take the place of the missing hand.  Dyslexics need a set of motions that they can understand. 

Since I stole the hyperbolic method from the crocheters, there have been lots of aha! moments.  Now, after about 6 years of torturing thread into ruffles, other tatters are trying it for themselves.  I am anxiously awaiting some wonderful new discovery that makes it easier to work or understand, or else adds a new hyperbolic form that I haven't thought of.

Happy Tatting!

I find it appalling that someone would tell you you are doing it "wrong".  This is fiber--THERE IS NO ONE RIGHT WAY!!!!  That doesn't mean there isn't a different or more efficient way to do something or that you have nothing more to learn--I have been doing fiber arts for over 55 years and STILL learn something new almost daily.  If what you do pleases you, keep it up!

Greetings to you from Costa Rica!  What aa rude woman she was!  You do your tatting the way that you like!,, i been tattinf since i was *8 years old and i would love to learn all different ways  and were they come from!,    i will be honored if you could teach me your way!

We each have different degrees of dexterity with our hands, and have to work them holding the shuttle in different ways. Arthritic or damaged fingers can't work like nice young ones!! What does it matter, so long as you feel comfortable, and can make lace?   Gosh! some people are so stupid,!!!

That is half the fun of watching others - you can see the different ways they do the same thing - like tatting, - and be amazed at how they work!  How boring if we all did  tatting exactly the same!! The fun is in the differences!!

As long as it works for you and it looks good, just do it your way.  We all have different ways of doing things and what does it matter..!  Just keep up with the way you do it and let her do it her way.  I make a lot of decisions on my own to.  Such is life...

The Complete Book of Tatting NY Rebecca Jones shows I think 12 different techniques. It's a good resource. I would love to see how you do your knots sometime.
My favorite saying is, "The knot doesn't care how it's made...just that it is!" (Wish I could remember who said it first, so I could give proper credit!)
What works for you might be just what someone else who's been struggling needs!
Keep up the great work!

I will have to get mine out and check it out.  I haven't looked at it in a while...thanks!

Deb said:

The Complete Book of Tatting NY Rebecca Jones shows I think 12 different techniques. It's a good resource. I would love to see how you do your knots sometime.
My favorite saying is, "The knot doesn't care how it's made...just that it is!" (Wish I could remember who said it first, so I could give proper credit!)
What works for you might be just what someone else who's been struggling needs!
Keep up the great work!

What ever works for you, the outcome is what matters

RSS

Translate This Site

Notes

HOW THE SOFTWARE WORKS

Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 7:07pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Dec 9, 2014.

PHOTOS

Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 7:29pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Sep 2, 2014.

How to Post a Long Article

Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator Mar 7, 2013 at 4:47pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Mar 7, 2013.

COMMUNITY GUIDELINES

Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 6:58pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Dec 20, 2012.

How to embed a video on the IOLI site

Created by Tatman Jan 25, 2012 at 3:26pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Jan 25, 2012.

Groups

Members

Badge

Loading…

Other Events

Laurie Waters has a very substantial EVENTS list on lacenews.

http://lacenews.net/lace-event-calendars/).   

EU Cookie Directive

© 2018   Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service