Does anyone recognize this lace? My first thought was Lille, but the design is a little off, more like 19th c Valenciennes. Maybe Valenciennes with a round-hole mesh? But Val isn't known for the gimp. I don't really recognize the mesh - any ideas?

Laurie

Views: 146

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

This looks like the piece I pictured in a post in the Identification-History group on Jan. 17, 2019, p. 16 if you go back in the pages discussion. Our info said it was Russian and also Mechlin. I think it is a case of doing the motions of point ground but working the pairs as singles, twisting around each other then coming together in a linen stitch. Here is my photo: 

That's definitely it.  And not Mechlin - the mesh is going in the wrong direction. Russian... interesting. I'll get out my Russian books.

In this doctored photo the red ring shows one ground crossing. It appears to be a cloth stitch. So the ground would be worked ttctc     Very strange.  The shapes of the motifs suggest Mechlin, but this is not Mechlin. The similarity may say more about when it was made, rather than what it is. (circa 1900)  I have a book of Russian embroidery and lace -- antique -- but again the shapes of the motifs and the overall design do not fit. The ring pair surrounding the motifs appears to be made in the normal manner. Mechlin has a very strange way of making the ring pair.

A fascinating piece, and a really nice design, whatever it is.

RSS

Translate This Site

Notes

HOW THE SOFTWARE WORKS

Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 7:07pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Dec 9, 2014.

PHOTOS

Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 7:29pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Sep 2, 2014.

How to Post a Long Article

Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator Mar 7, 2013 at 4:47pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Mar 7, 2013.

COMMUNITY GUIDELINES

Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 6:58pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Dec 20, 2012.

How to embed a video on the IOLI site

Created by Tatman Jan 25, 2012 at 3:26pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Jan 25, 2012.

Groups

Members

Badge

Loading…

Events

Other Events

Laurie Waters has a very substantial EVENTS list on lacenews.

http://lacenews.net/lace-event-calendars/).   

EU Cookie Directive

© 2020   Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service