Hello, Ages ago we had a discussion on distinguishing handmade vs machinemade Chantilly lace. I found it very helpful but now have a couple of pieces that I'm again not sure about. These 2 lace samples have, I thought, a handmade look, but are quite different in terms of fillings. Any thoughts?

Views: 101

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

I don't know what all was covered in the previous discussion but I've been told that some Chantilly was made by machine making the net and fillings, and the gimp sewn in by hand (Leavers?). Could this explain your pieces?

Both of your examples are machine made. The half stitch sections don't look right.  The 2 examples below are hand made half stitch.

The red rings in the one below surround what should be half stitch.

Below are 2 examples of hand made Chantilly

Nancy - I think the essential thing about determining which piece of lace is machine or hand made Chantilly is how the half stitch sections in the motifs look. Machines just can't duplicate half stitch. I don't mean "suggest", or "similar density". Machines do a creditable job at the variation of dense and transparent that one finds in Chantilly. But exact replication does not seem possible.

Yes we can land a man on the moon. Yes we can photo the rings of Saturn close up. You would think it might be possible to make a machine to exactly duplicate hand made half stitch in Chantilly. But there is also the issue of incentive. Why bother figuring out how to do that, when machine made Chantilly will pass muster with 99% of the population. The motivation just isn't there.

Yes Nancy that would make sense as it looks very different to completely machine made, fine silk Chantilly so maybe the hand sewn gimp would explain that. What do you think Lorelei?

Nancy A. Neff said:

I don't know what all was covered in the previous discussion but I've been told that some Chantilly was made by machine making the net and fillings, and the gimp sewn in by hand (Leavers?). Could this explain your pieces?

A thick gimp sewn in with a needle would be necessary with machine made Chantilly, but not in hand made. But, as I said before, I would not use hand sewn gimp as a defining factor. Look at the parts that should be half stitch. Keep looking at photos until you can accurately identify hand made half stitch.

RSS

Translate This Site

Notes

HOW THE SOFTWARE WORKS

Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 7:07pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Dec 9, 2014.

PHOTOS

Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 7:29pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Sep 2, 2014.

How to Post a Long Article

Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator Mar 7, 2013 at 4:47pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Mar 7, 2013.

COMMUNITY GUIDELINES

Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 6:58pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Dec 20, 2012.

How to embed a video on the IOLI site

Created by Tatman Jan 25, 2012 at 3:26pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Jan 25, 2012.

Members

Badge

Loading…

Other Events

Laurie Waters has a very substantial EVENTS list on lacenews.

http://lacenews.net/lace-event-calendars/).   

EU Cookie Directive

© 2018   Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service