Hi, I was hoping for some help regarding the type of lace this is. I was also hoping that I might find out it's age and origin. Thank you all so very much. I have learned so much already just reading others posts.

Views: 154

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

It seems to me that this is needle lace...

Nice piece of lace you have there.

I can't quite see close enough the way the threads are working in the piece, but it almost looks like a type of Schiffli lace, which is a type of machine lace.  It has a certain look to it, and part of that is how the threads move in the lace.

Some good books to consult are The Secrets of Real Lace by Elizabeth Kurella, and Pat Earnshaw's 2 books:  Machine Laces and Lace Machines and How to recognize machine laces.  The Lace Arts Council for Education has a great little publication, Lace: a quick guide to identification, that is also a handy and quick reference tool.

I also thought it is needle lace, but Helen is right. There just isn't enough detail for us to be sure. Can you provide another photo with better detail? We need to be able to see each individual thread. Without that kind of detail we are only guessing. And a guess really isn't worth much. With a good photo we can be sure.

I, too, thought Needlelace, - though a machine lace may be correct. - Good thinking Helen.

Whatever it is, - it is well worth having, as it is a lovely table runner. Cherish it!! (Lucky you!!)

Carolina,

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. And thank you so much for your input.

Carolina de la Guardia said:

It seems to me that this is needle lace...

Helen,

Thank you so much for you input and great book recommendations! I will be looking to buy them for sure. I really appreciate your help!

Lorene
Helen Bell said:

Nice piece of lace you have there.

I can't quite see close enough the way the threads are working in the piece, but it almost looks like a type of Schiffli lace, which is a type of machine lace.  It has a certain look to it, and part of that is how the threads move in the lace.

Some good books to consult are The Secrets of Real Lace by Elizabeth Kurella, and Pat Earnshaw's 2 books:  Machine Laces and Lace Machines and How to recognize machine laces.  The Lace Arts Council for Education has a great little publication, Lace: a quick guide to identification, that is also a handy and quick reference tool.

Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate all of the help and information on this site, its amazing. I took a few pictures that are much closer. I hope these are clear enough.. If not I can try again. Thank you again!

Lorene  P.S- I hope this file isnt the wrong size. If it is I can delete it.

Administrator said:

I also thought it is needle lace, but Helen is right. There just isn't enough detail for us to be sure. Can you provide another photo with better detail? We need to be able to see each individual thread. Without that kind of detail we are only guessing. And a guess really isn't worth much. With a good photo we can be sure.

Attachments:

Awww... Thank you so much Elizabeth for your nice comments and help with my lace runner. I so much appreciate all of the help.

Lorene

Elizabeth Ligeti said:

I, too, thought Needlelace, - though a machine lace may be correct. - Good thinking Helen.

Whatever it is, - it is well worth having, as it is a lovely table runner. Cherish it!! (Lucky you!!)

Yep.  It's machine made, and I think it's Schiffli.  If you're a member of IOLI, you can check their library catalogue (or contact the IOLI Librarian if you need assistance) to see if they have Pat Earnshaw's 2 books on machine laces.  If you belong to a local group that has a library, see if it's in their library.  Your other choice is to go to your local public library, and request to borrow the books via ILL.  Elizabeth Kurella's books are also very useful to refer to.  There are a couple of other very good scholarly type books that are excellent references, but the one's I've given you are a great starting point.

Enjoy your beautiful piece of lace.

Helen

Thank you so much Helen, I really appreciate all of your help. I am heading to the library tomorrow in hopes to find the books that you recommended. Does machine made lace have less value than handmade? I am thinking yes. Also would you happen to know the origin? Thank you again.

Lorene

Lorene said:

Not necessarily.  Some is very valuable.  Old Chantilly can be prized and sought after (like the big shawls).  It just depends on what it is, if there's provenance, and what people are wanting and willing to pay in the marketplace.  

I couldn't begin to guess on it's origin and age.  If you had a manufacturer's label on it, that would help with it's provenance.  Beyond that, I'm thinking it's a guess.

If you go to an antique dealer, you want to be careful about trusting their knowledge.  There are some good people around who deal specifically in lace, and people in your local group might be able to give you a name of someone local to you who can give you an honest opinion on your lace, but I don't know if they'd do any kind of valuation for insurance purposes.

-Helen

Thank you so much Helen, I really appreciate all of your help. I am heading to the library tomorrow in hopes to find the books that you recommended. Does machine made lace have less value than handmade? I am thinking yes. Also would you happen to know the origin? Thank you again.

Lorene

RSS

Translate This Site

Photos

Loading…

Notes

HOW THE SOFTWARE WORKS

Created by Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 7:07pm. Last updated by Administrator Dec 9, 2014.

PHOTOS

Created by Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 7:29pm. Last updated by Administrator Sep 2, 2014.

How to Post a Long Article

Created by Administrator Mar 7, 2013 at 4:47pm. Last updated by Administrator Mar 7, 2013.

COMMUNITY GUIDELINES

Created by Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 6:58pm. Last updated by Administrator Dec 20, 2012.

How to embed a video on the IOLI site

Created by Tatman Jan 25, 2012 at 3:26pm. Last updated by Administrator Jan 25, 2012.

Members

Badge

Loading…

Other Events

Laurie Waters has a very substantial EVENTS list on lacenews.

http://lacenews.net/lace-event-calendars/).   

EU Cookie Directive

© 2017   Created by Administrator.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service