Hello, 

I acquired some lovely lace pieces today which I believe are:

17th C Point de Venise, 8 cms deep. And 3 examples of 18th C Argentan / Alencon? These are all about 5 cms deep. Then an interesting delicate tape lace. Is this a Point Plat? It is 8 cms deep. Any ideas of date? Then a collar of very intricate needlelace with strawberries - 4 cms deep. And finally a piece with interesting fillings on a net layer, with metal thread lace on top. This one is 20 cms deep. 

Any ideas welcome. Thanks much, Deborah

Views: 98

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Here are the "strawberry" and metal thread / net ones....

Attachments:

Re: 18th C lace2

I looked at Earnshaw's NEEDLELACE, in which she gives a brief history of various needle lace styles, with technical diagrams about the stitches used. According to this, Alencon became popular in the last quarter of the 18th century. From what else I know about bobbin lace history, the 19th c was the heyday of "point ground bobbin lace", which produced a very simple and fragile ground. Since overall style of bobbin lace and needle lace marched pretty much hand in hand, I would say Alencon is the typical, expected result, in terms of needle lace styles. Two forms of lace may use similar styles while using vastly different construction methods. But whether your pieces are late 18th c or date from some time in the 19th c, I can't say. I'm not that knowledgeable about needle lace history.

RE: 17th c pdv

It does look like a Venetian lace. But there were a lot of copies made during the lace Revival Era, around 1900. I am not confident about whether this is truly 17th c or revival era. Mostly, I think the earlier more likely. Again this is just an opinion, with no certitude attached.

I won't venture an opinion about the last one.

I strongly suspect your "strawberry lace" is actually Irish crochet. I would need a better closeup to be sure. Your "metal net lace" is just weird. The white stuff  looks like hand embroidery on machine net. The brown stuff is just peculiar.

You might find some additional information on the lace for study site. I has photos of various antique laces. If you can find 2 or 3 examples of the types you are interested in, you might get some useful comparison photos. Use the search slot on the right side, under the logo.

http://www.laceforstudy.org.uk/?s=point+plat+needle+lace

RSS

Translate This Site

Notes

HOW THE SOFTWARE WORKS

Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 7:07pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Dec 9, 2014.

PHOTOS

Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 7:29pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Sep 2, 2014.

How to Post a Long Article

Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator Mar 7, 2013 at 4:47pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Mar 7, 2013.

COMMUNITY GUIDELINES

Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 6:58pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Dec 20, 2012.

How to embed a video on the IOLI site

Created by Tatman Jan 25, 2012 at 3:26pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Jan 25, 2012.

Members

Badge

Loading…

Other Events

Laurie Waters has a very substantial EVENTS list on lacenews.

http://lacenews.net/lace-event-calendars/).   

EU Cookie Directive

© 2018   Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service