Help!! I have tried using inkscape to draw tatting patens but have failed. Is their a better free or not expensive piece of software. Please any help will be great, I have no spent 3 hours Google searching for answers to no success.

Views: 561

Replies to This Discussion

An interesting question. We do have some tatting designers. I hope somebody has a suggestion.

A generous designer from Korea has shared this free software with us:  https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9948683/TattingDesigner/Tatting...

It is still a bit unstable, but is awesome for designing circular items, like doilies.  Not so great for straight items like edgings, but you can work with it and it is specifically set up for tatting design.

I may be able to help.  I have been having success tracing scanned line designs.  I just tried a very simple tatting diagram.  To make this, I used the Bezier drawing tool and made a triangle, click, click, click double click back at start location.  I went to the edit tool and rounded two of the corners.  Then I copied and pasted it to make 4 copies.  With the select (arrow shaped tool) I used the rotate object left, right and twice to the right to get the teardrop objects facing 4 directions.  I moved them close together and then went back to the Bezier drawing tool and added the picot lines, with a click at one end, and double click at the other.  If they are not where you want them, they can be moved and altered using the Edit tool.  Then I added the chain curves first as straight lines from point to point and finally a double click to end. With the edit tool, change them to curves.  Then with the Bezier tool, draw the rest of the picot lines.  Finally with the text tool, I added the numbers.    

Loretta Holzberger said:

I may be able to help.  I have been having success tracing scanned line designs.  I just tried a very simple tatting diagram.  To make this, I used the Bezier drawing tool and made a triangle, click, click, click double click back at start location.  I went to the edit tool and rounded two of the corners.  Then I copied and pasted it to make 4 copies.  With the select (arrow shaped tool) I used the rotate object left, right and twice to the right to get the teardrop objects facing 4 directions.  I moved them close together and then went back to the Bezier drawing tool and added the picot lines, with a click at one end, and double click at the other.  If they are not where you want them, they can be moved and altered using the Edit tool.  Then I added the chain curves first as straight lines from point to point and finally a double click to end. With the edit tool, change them to curves.  Then with the Bezier tool, draw the rest of the picot lines.  Finally with the text tool, I added the numbers.    

Thanks your your suggestions I will give bezier a go and keep you informed of my success

Do you live in the US?  If so, perhaps we could both open Inkscape and talk on the phone while working through the process.  

I live in UK

Well, that makes a phone call a bit pricey.   Keep asking questions.  I'll try to help here on the forum.   

Hi Loretta,

How do you determine the number of ds in each tatting element? I know how to use Inkscape and Gimp.

Thanks!

Loretta Holzberger said:

RSS

Translate This Site

Notes

HOW THE SOFTWARE WORKS

Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 7:07pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Dec 9, 2014.

PHOTOS

Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 7:29pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Sep 2, 2014.

How to Post a Long Article

Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator Mar 7, 2013 at 4:47pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Mar 7, 2013.

COMMUNITY GUIDELINES

Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 6:58pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Dec 20, 2012.

How to embed a video on the IOLI site

Created by Tatman Jan 25, 2012 at 3:26pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Jan 25, 2012.

Groups

Members

Badge

Loading…

Other Events

Laurie Waters has a very substantial EVENTS list on lacenews.

http://lacenews.net/lace-event-calendars/).   

EU Cookie Directive

© 2018   Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service