Some time ago I made some collaborative pages. Anyone who feels to can contribute to these overviews.

http://bobbin-lace.wikispaces.com/generic+software+used+to+design+lace

http://bobbin-lace.wikispaces.com/software+dedicated+to+design+bobb...

Views: 2770

Replies to This Discussion

Hehe, ya, Adobe has gone with subscriptions monthly or yearly now.  I am running a copy of Illustrator CS5.5.  It was purchased as an upgrade and I got a discounted price.  Now they have everything in the Creative Cloud.  My copy runs on my computer and I have not invested in the creative cloud versions. 

To answer your question, I would recommend Photoshop CS5.5 It's costly.  However the best free and open source photo editing software is called GIMP (coincidentally).  It is just as powerful and useful as Photoshop.  I am just biased to Adobe from my background but GIMP is great and it's easy to learn and runs on any platform.

Hope this helps~

Administrator said:

Scott - an interesting and helpful discussion. I checked, and current price on Adobe Illustrator is $29.99 per month ($360 per year). Corel Draw is $499.00. Both seem too expensive. I did download Inkscape, but am having trouble learning it. I just need to devote a whole day to mastering some level of use with it.

I still do my designing in the ancient dinosaurian manner, with graph paper and a pencil. I make a scan of blank graph paper, and use Paint to put dots on the graph. I know, don't laugh.

What do you suggest for doctoring photos? I need the software to rotate an image a few degrees, darken shadows, adjust light level, intensify colors, adjust color to fix yellow or green resulting from the kind of lighting used.

Lorelei

I still do my designing in the ancient dinosaurian manner, with graph paper and a pencil. I make a scan of blank graph paper, and use Paint to put dots on the graph. I know, don't laugh.

I'm not laughing at you but I am giggling.  You know, I have the upmost respect for the old ways of doing things.  I don't have a steady enough hand to do what you do. As for the process that you are using, well, I think it's brilliant! 

Loretta, Veronika and Scott -- thanks for your suggestions. I think I need to download the free test versions and see how they work, before I spend any money. Free is good, but industry standard is better, depending on how much I'm going to use it.

Lorelei

Sorry I'm a bit late jumping into this discussion.

Administrator said:

... Free is good, but industry standard is better, ...

Lorelei

Don't confuse industry with standard. Commercial software usually uses some propriety storage format that only lasts a few upgrades. Unless you convert your old designs in time, you loose them. The storage format SVG is a standard supported more or less by various applications such as main stream browsers, free and commercial vector graphic editors but sadly not by various dedicated lace design software.

Scott Chausee said:

Inkscape is a wonderful tool because it's FREE! ...  You have more versatility and that is empowering.  Lace8 sort of takes the power away from you and gives you simplicity.

It would be good to add simplicity to the versatility by providing videos for regular tasks with the general purpose editors. Though those who want just Torchon and free might be happy with Kandela. These videos at the bottom of this page look very promising. You can help the French developer with the wording of the English version.

Scott Chausee said:

I love the options I have in Illustrator.  The most fantastic thing I have is the ability to specify graph paper or grid sizes in the preferences and then start placing dots for the pricking.  They jump to the grid line intersections automatically keeping my pricking absolutely perfect.  That is what Lace 8 does too.  I don't know if there are options for that in Inkscape but I am curious to know.

InkScape also provides grids for objects to jump to, objects can also jump to one another in various ways, and you can write your own plugins for additional functionality, such as Veronika and me did for printable grids and more.

Jo - Your point about short lived proprietory file types is a good warning.

RSS

Translate This Site

Notes

HOW THE SOFTWARE WORKS

Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 7:07pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Dec 9, 2014.

PHOTOS

Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 7:29pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Sep 2, 2014.

How to Post a Long Article

Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator Mar 7, 2013 at 4:47pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Mar 7, 2013.

COMMUNITY GUIDELINES

Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 6:58pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Dec 20, 2012.

How to embed a video on the IOLI site

Created by Tatman Jan 25, 2012 at 3:26pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Jan 25, 2012.

Groups

Members

Badge

Loading…

Events

Other Events

Laurie Waters has a very substantial EVENTS list on lacenews.

http://lacenews.net/lace-event-calendars/).   

EU Cookie Directive

© 2018   Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service