Some time ago I made some collaborative pages. Anyone who feels to can contribute to these overviews.

http://bobbin-lace.wikispaces.com/generic+software+used+to+design+lace

http://bobbin-lace.wikispaces.com/software+dedicated+to+design+bobb...

Views: 2406

Replies to This Discussion

Do you mean you want to trace patterns or pieces of lace? Are you trying to read us via google translate?

Fedorovich Galina said:

... Which program is easier to transfer to  computer and  for use. ...

With tracing I mean:

Do you want to do Something like that? With old lace or old pencil designs?

Galina

From this discussion I understand your question. Lacemakers use prickings on their pillows and working diagrams as cheat sheets. In west-Europe we use colour coded pair diagrams for complex laces. Generated thread diagrams predict the flow of threads. The flow of threads is important to mix colours or to mix different thickness of threads.

You can combine a round pricking on your pillow with a straight working diagram as cheat sheet. On a pricking you connect just enough dots to memorise the pattern. With these round grids you can connect the dots with a pencil. With the inkscape plugin you can connect the dots with the computer. InkScape is available in the Russian language. Connect the dots for one repeat and let the computer repeat it. Veronika explained about layers and snapping.

Follow these instructions to generate working diagrams. It does only a limited set of Veronika's patterns and a limited set of stitches. That is still an awful lot of possibilities.

Galina

I reworked the documentation, it sends you less from pillar to post. So it should now be easier to find the essential information. Start at http://jo-pol.github.io/DiBL/polar-grids/

Very pleased to find this discussion. I lost four hours of my life and spent a very frustrating evening copying out a pattern for a Torchon mat onto graph paper (much hampered by my inability to count accurately). The result isn't even that accurate as the later it became in the evening, the harder it got to put a pencil dot on the grid intersections! I was cross-eyed by the end of it and thinking that there had to be a better way.

@ Sharon

I assume you did use the polar grid generator. How come you did not notice any problems and report them to me? Yesterday I discovered different problems with different browsers and just fixed them.

Jo

Thanks for the link to the polar grid generator. I didn't know that was there! I especially like the snowflake grids. Maybe I will actually figure out how to use them to generate a simple Binche or Flanders design. Cool stuff!

Both the grid and ground generator are quite young. Only this spring I started to develop the web versions, in spare time so little real lace gets of my pillow. Only this weekend I fixed the last bugs that I'm currently aware of. The ground generator lets you choose stitches for Veronika Irvine's patterns. An overview of both applications and auxiliary tools are on github.io/DiBL Should you find any problems, spelling/grammar/functionality: I'd like to get feedback.

Inkscape is a wonderful tool because it's FREE!  I have a copy installed just in case I want it for something such as opening  a file and converting it to another format. But it is great for those who want a free tool to generate vector artwork.  I would recommend it over Lace8 or its earlier versions simply because you can create your own work environments templates and so on.  You have more versatility and that is empowering.  Lace8 sort of takes the power away from you and gives you simplicity.  Corel Draw is a full blown illustrating software.  I have always personally despised it.

I am a highly experienced computer graphics artist.  I have been creating computer generated graphics since the 80's.  I have worked in a variety of graphic industries.  Because of this background I work with Adobe software which is the industry standard for cgi and I am highly proficient with it.  So, I stick with what I know and have.  Adobe software is expensive.  In my experience it has been very intuitive and easy to learn.  But then again, it costs money!

Use what works for you!  If I had to make a suggestion on which software to use it would be Inkscape or Illustrator or Corel Draw.  Basically, you need vector drawing software that will give you enough options to draw what you need in the size you need for your particular lace project.

I love the options I have in Illustrator.  The most fantastic thing I have is the ability to specify graph paper or grid sizes in the preferences and then start placing dots for the pricking.  They jump to the grid line intersections automatically keeping my pricking absolutely perfect.  That is what Lace 8 does too.  I don't know if there are options for that in Inkscape but I am curious to know. 

Here is a screenshot of Illustrator and the pricking I drew from a pattern provided on this website.  This design is by: Alexandra Stillwell and I merely re-drew it.  It creates a small motif for use in a Framecraft Handbag Mirror if you size it according to the directions.  I decided that I wanted it set up on a 3.3cm/10 sub-divisions custom grid for use with perlé 8 cotton thread.  If I wanted it even larger and looser I would use 3.6cm grid.  Anything larger than that and it will start to look too loose.  Anything smaller than that and I might start having trouble with tightness on certain stitches.

Here were the results~

Scott - an interesting and helpful discussion. I checked, and current price on Adobe Illustrator is $29.99 per month ($360 per year). Corel Draw is $499.00. Both seem too expensive. I did download Inkscape, but am having trouble learning it. I just need to devote a whole day to mastering some level of use with it.

I still do my designing in the ancient dinosaurian manner, with graph paper and a pencil. I make a scan of blank graph paper, and use Paint to put dots on the graph. I know, don't laugh.

What do you suggest for doctoring photos? I need the software to rotate an image a few degrees, darken shadows, adjust light level, intensify colors, adjust color to fix yellow or green resulting from the kind of lighting used.

Lorelei

I use Inkscape sometimes, but my favorite reasonably priced software is Corel's Paint Shop Pro Photo X8 or whatever the current version is.  It is available for under $50 for a single installation.  Going with a slightly older than current version is just as good if it saves money.  This program is great for photo editing, vector graphics, and also raster graphics.  I will often scan a hand drawn sketch and then use the vector tools to copy it with nice straight or curved lines all done with the same width lines.  After the copy is made, the original scan is deleted and layers merged down to create the finished drawing.  

Look at the graphics I've used in the Needle Lace Editor's column in the IOLI Bulletin and you will see some of my work with it.  

Loretta Holzberger 

For editing photos, I like the IrfanView program. It is free, has a pretty straightforward user interface and can handle a large variety of image formats (including some camera specific formats). It can do rotation, resizing, colour editing as well as some special effect filters.

http://www.irfanview.com

There are also some additional plugins for IrfanView.  I have not tried them all but if IrfanView is missing a feature that you want, try looking here:  

http://www.irfanview.com/plugins.htm

RSS

Translate This Site

Photos

Loading…

Notes

HOW THE SOFTWARE WORKS

Created by Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 7:07pm. Last updated by Administrator Dec 9, 2014.

PHOTOS

Created by Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 7:29pm. Last updated by Administrator Sep 2, 2014.

How to Post a Long Article

Created by Administrator Mar 7, 2013 at 4:47pm. Last updated by Administrator Mar 7, 2013.

COMMUNITY GUIDELINES

Created by Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 6:58pm. Last updated by Administrator Dec 20, 2012.

How to embed a video on the IOLI site

Created by Tatman Jan 25, 2012 at 3:26pm. Last updated by Administrator Jan 25, 2012.

Groups

Members

Badge

Loading…

Other Events

Laurie Waters has a very substantial EVENTS list on lacenews.

http://lacenews.net/lace-event-calendars/).   

EU Cookie Directive

© 2017   Created by Administrator.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service