Hello lacers: 

I'm new to bobbin lace in the past year or so, and getting ready to tackle bigger items. Current squad goal is some nice long lappets for a colonial period cap, made with Ipswich lace. 

I have just started working with silk thread, and I'm running through these tiny spools pretty fast even on the practice pieces. But I can't seem to see larger units (like cones) available for the #50 black like I've been using. 

My questions are: 

1. Are threads like this as susceptible to dye lot issues as something I would have worried about with knitting a sweater? So do I need to buy a zillion teeny spools of one lot, I guess.

2. Is there some way to find larger cone-sized spools than I have found so far? Or is there some reason not to go this route? 

Thanks for any guidance, and feel free to offer any other tidbits that I wouldn't have even thought to ask yet.

Sample of Ipswich that I'm considering scaling up. And yes, I know. I was concentrating so hard on getting the gimp path right that I spaced on the filling. But that's why I practice...  

Views: 95

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

I really like your lace design. I don't work with silk (too expensive) but some of our members do.

Yeah, that's another thing--a cone would have to be cheaper, I am thinking... 

This is Ipswich #11 that Karen Thompson recreated from the Library of Congress samples. I took her course with the Lace Museum this month, and now I'm all inspired to make the lace I need. Even though we aren't doing re-enactment stuff right now--but that gives me time to make a few yards....

Karen also said this one was a good one for demos, and I can see why. After I worked out the gimp path, it was pretty straightforward. 

Lorelei Halley Administrator said:

I really like your lace design. I don't work with silk (too expensive) but some of our members do.

Hi Mary, well done I am really impressed. I had not heard of Ipswich lace before, and I am really interested now. I have had close connections with Ipswich in the the past and would really like to make some.

i would be most grateful if you could tell where I can get an easy pattern. I really don’t want anything tricky to start with as I’m just getting over a broken wrist. I do need some inspiration and if you were doing it too I would feel a bit charged up!

Many thanks Kate 

Oh, yay! More Ipswich fans is another goal of mine. 

I can't believe that I never heard of this remarkable American lace in all my years around textile history and crafts and historical reenactment. When I took the intro to bobbin lace class with Jill Hawkins, she pointed me there. Are you Kate that was working on the Seven Pence lace that Jill also suggested to me? I tried that one too! Not as successfully at the time, but I'm getting better and intend to go back to that.

More backstory on Ipswich: https://americanhistory.si.edu/blog/ipswich-lace

Anyway: the only patterns I'm even aware of are the one in Karen Thompson's book: "The Lace Samples from Ipswich". These are all recreated from the Library of Congress pieces. And in the workshop, Karen explain that she ordered the patterns on her assessment of their difficulty. Mine above is the 4th pattern in the order, and I would say all of these first few are well within the grasp of even fairly basic lace skills with straightforward stuff. Picots gave me a bit of a problem, but I made some progress on that during the workshop.

I tried one later in the book that was over my head. But I'll get there eventually...heh. 

My current goal is to get through all of them (eventually) and make a sort of sampler of them that I can use at historical reenactor events. Something people can look at, on a display board of some kind.

RSS

Translate This Site

Notes

HOW THE SOFTWARE WORKS

Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 7:07pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Dec 9, 2014.

PHOTOS

Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 7:29pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Sep 2, 2014.

How to Post a Long Article

Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator Mar 7, 2013 at 4:47pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Mar 7, 2013.

COMMUNITY GUIDELINES

Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 6:58pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Dec 20, 2012.

How to embed a video on the IOLI site

Created by Tatman Jan 25, 2012 at 3:26pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Jan 25, 2012.

Members

Badge

Loading…

Events

Other Events

Laurie Waters has a very substantial EVENTS list on lacenews.

http://lacenews.net/lace-event-calendars/).   

EU Cookie Directive

© 2020   Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service