Hi, I'm new to lace making, started in the winter. I am getting fairly comfortable with the basic motifs but I am still having trouble deciding how to start a piece.

I saved a pricking from Raquel Adsuar's facebook group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/videotutorialesadsuar/) after having watched some of her videos on youtube (even though I don't speak or understand spanish). The pricking is a fairly simple bookmark to practice spider variations. I have attatched the top.

I can't figure out how to start. I thought I needed 36 pairs, but then I thought I needed a footside on each side which would require at least one more pair on each side? So then I had 6 pairs hanging on the middle pin and it was very soon a "dog's breakfast" as my mother used to say. 

Any suggestions how to go about this?

Thanks,

Dawn

Views: 340

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Pilar Baena said:

Dawn,
I used to be part of this group, could you please show us the whole pricking? Thanks a lot.
The pricking is here:

Dawn

Your spider doesn't look quite right. Below is a diagram showing sequential steps for an 8 legged spider. A 12 legged one is made the same way.  Diagrams are from my book TORCHON BOBBIN LACE LESSONS.

Lorelei

The whole point of this piece is to play with variations. The first is from this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKCm6a73C4c

There are some conventional spiders further down the pricking.

Administrator said:

Dawn

Your spider doesn't look quite right. Below is a diagram showing sequential steps for an 8 legged spider. A 12 legged one is made the same way.  Diagrams are from my book TORCHON BOBBIN LACE LESSONS.

Lorelei

I'm not part of the group anymore. Could you post the whole pricking? Or is there any problem in doing so? Thanks a lot.

Pilar

Pilar

There is a problem with posting a complete pricking. It is a copyright infringement, unless we have permission from the designer. If you are looking for patterns there are some free sites online, with legal patterns. This page in my website lists quite a few.   There are even a few whole books that have been made available for free online.

http://lynxlace.com/bobbinlacefreepatterns.html

gwydir.demon.co.uk/jo/lace

Re free patterns on the web, can I put in a plug for my website, above ? They are all my own designs, mostly Torchon with some Bucks Point. Free for anyone to use, or copy as they choose, including on IOLI, of course, as I waive my copyright. There are a LOT of them by now, and they have a pictorial index (scroll down on the index page) so you can pick something you like. Some aren't very good, as I included the mistakes as well, in case anyone could learn from them! I suppose modesty should make me say that none of them are VERY good, although there are quite a few I like. Some are very simple, suitable for the rawest beginner. Some explore weird ideas such as Celtic knots or variable grids!

I just don't feel like it is mine to post...

Pilar Baena said:

I'm not part of the group anymore. Could you post the whole pricking? Or is there any problem in doing so? Thanks a lot.

Pilar

I have found your site Jo. I have spent quite a bit of time going over it and I am sure I will be doing some of your patterns in the future.

Jo Edkins said:

gwydir.demon.co.uk/jo/lace

Re free patterns on the web, can I put in a plug for my website, above ? They are all my own designs, mostly Torchon with some Bucks Point. Free for anyone to use, or copy as they choose, including on IOLI, of course, as I waive my copyright. There are a LOT of them by now, and they have a pictorial index (scroll down on the index page) so you can pick something you like. Some aren't very good, as I included the mistakes as well, in case anyone could learn from them! I suppose modesty should make me say that none of them are VERY good, although there are quite a few I like. Some are very simple, suitable for the rawest beginner. Some explore weird ideas such as Celtic knots or variable grids!

Jo - it is absolutely OK to put in a plug for your website. It is a great gift to lace makers, especially since all the information is offered to the world for free.

RSS

Translate This Site

Photos

Loading…

Notes

HOW THE SOFTWARE WORKS

Created by Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 7:07pm. Last updated by Administrator Dec 9, 2014.

PHOTOS

Created by Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 7:29pm. Last updated by Administrator Sep 2, 2014.

How to Post a Long Article

Created by Administrator Mar 7, 2013 at 4:47pm. Last updated by Administrator Mar 7, 2013.

COMMUNITY GUIDELINES

Created by Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 6:58pm. Last updated by Administrator Dec 20, 2012.

How to embed a video on the IOLI site

Created by Tatman Jan 25, 2012 at 3:26pm. Last updated by Administrator Jan 25, 2012.

Groups

Members

Badge

Loading…

Other Events

Laurie Waters has a very substantial EVENTS list on lacenews.

http://lacenews.net/lace-event-calendars/).   

EU Cookie Directive

© 2017   Created by Administrator.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service