Thought I would say Hi and introduce myself. I just started watching videos and reading as much as I can about bobbin lace this week. My main reason for learning how to make lace is because some of my sewing patterns call for lace inserts and I can never find any that I like if I can find any at all.

Along with sewing I knit, crochet, sculpt, paint, wood working and anything else that will keep my hands busy. I find making things myself is a great way to relax and maintain the little bit of sanity I have left these days lol

I am not working so instead of spending a ton of money on bobbins I made my own with some pony beads and wooden dowels. Also, I used some of my fuzzy babies blankets rolled up for a pillow. I didn't want to spend too much just in case I didn't like it. Glad to say I am hooked and can't wait to learn more.

Views: 78

Replies to This Discussion

Sounds good for a undecided beginner.  I went into it full swing, but I was glad that I did.  Hope you find things here to help you make up your mind....and love it like I do..!

Thank you I am sure that this is the site that will provide the information I'm looking for.

Barbara Gordon said:

Sounds good for a undecided beginner.  I went into it full swing, but I was glad that I did.  Hope you find things here to help you make up your mind....and love it like I do..!

I think most of us here are like you, in that we engage in many different crafts. Making things with hands is what we all love. But for me, once I started bobbin lace, the other crafts tended to drop away. It can occupy you for a whole lifetime. I am about to collect a bunch of useful links. Watch for the ONLINE RESOURCES link on the main page of this group. Give me a few hours to do it.

Lorelei

I've had an on again, off again relationship with bobbin lace :)  Right now I'm switching between Torchon and baby steps in Beds. I just ordered a second pillow!

I can't wait to be able to do some shopping for pillows and bobbins. I love all lace so it's been really hard to decide where to start!

Gina Shillitani said:

I've had an on again, off again relationship with bobbin lace :)  Right now I'm switching between Torchon and baby steps in Beds. I just ordered a second pillow!

Good for you Gina.  I had started off Torchon to basically learn the stitches and then started skipping around with smaller samplers to see which one I liked the best.  Well...I'm still doing that, but I've covered a lot of ground now over the years.  It was all fun no matter which one I did.  Good luck!

I'm not going to abandon Torchon, I just like a change of pace or variety or whatever you want to call it  :)  Here's the beginning of my Beds adventure ;)

Looks good!

Darlene

This pinboard from Laurie Waters has links to suppliers, sorted geographically. Look about 2/3 down the page.

https://www.pinterest.com/LaceNews/

Wow, thanks! That whole board looks like an amazing resource! :)

RSS

Translate This Site

Photos

Loading…

Notes

HOW THE SOFTWARE WORKS

Created by Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 7:07pm. Last updated by Administrator Dec 9, 2014.

PHOTOS

Created by Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 7:29pm. Last updated by Administrator Sep 2, 2014.

How to Post a Long Article

Created by Administrator Mar 7, 2013 at 4:47pm. Last updated by Administrator Mar 7, 2013.

COMMUNITY GUIDELINES

Created by Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 6:58pm. Last updated by Administrator Dec 20, 2012.

How to embed a video on the IOLI site

Created by Tatman Jan 25, 2012 at 3:26pm. Last updated by Administrator Jan 25, 2012.

Groups

Members

Badge

Loading…

Other Events

Laurie Waters has a very substantial EVENTS list on lacenews.

http://lacenews.net/lace-event-calendars/).   

EU Cookie Directive

© 2017   Created by Administrator.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service