I am anxious to make use of it. 

Is there anything I need to know about how a pricking fits the roller? Does it have to fit perfectly or can it be longer than the circumference of the roller? Does it matter? 

Can't wait...jeez, I'd better get spangling!!!

Thanks,

Dawn

Views: 152

Replies to This Discussion

Dawn, I find it easiest if you get lucky enough that the pattern ends up being continuous - but that doesn't happen very often or without a LOT of planning, LOL!  My preference is for the pattern to be just a little short of full circumference, so I don't have to re-set the pins holding the pricking down to the pillow in order to shift the pattern when it is too long and you have to leave a loose bit.  Try both on a simple pattern and you will be able to decide which suits you better.  

I prefer my patterns to fit tightly to the roller.  I have to pad it out a bit, sometimes to get a good fit, but I prefer that to having the pricking loose.  I tried it loose once, but was not comfortable with it.

Still, - we are all different and so I suggest you try both ways, and decide which way you prefer.

Wouldn't it be boring if we all liked the same thing? - there would only be one of everything, and no choice or variety of ways of doing things!!!

I've worked pieces where the pattern is longer than the roller. What I do is pin the top of the pattern firmly to the roller, plus perhaps a bit of the sides at the start. Make sure that it's lined up properly! Tuck the rest of the (loose) pattern so it goes under the roller. The easiest way to do this is to spin the roller (slowly, and the right way!) so the pattern ends up in roughly the right place, but not attached (except at the top).

Then I work enough lace to be able to start removing pins. If it's a single piece of pattern (i.e. not continuous), then remove all the pins at the top, and the edge, with the rest of the pins,. The pattern ends up under the worked lace, coming out on top of the pillow. And new, unworked, pattern comes up in front of the roller. You can add a pin or so, at the edge,  just to keep the pattern snug to the roller.

If it's a continuous pattern, then it's a bit more tricky. Stick the pattern together so it's a loop, bigger than the roller. (It does have to be bigger!) Slot the roller inside the pattern. Replace the roller. The pinning at the start shouldn't interfere with the pricking, so pin just at the top edges, perhaps. But only pin near the start, as before. Start working the lace. And just carry on working, removing the pins as you go. This time the pattern will disappear down behind the roller (as it's attached to the rest of the pattern in a loop.) It doesn't hug the roller closely, but it doesn't have to. The place where the roller sits usually has some free space underneath. As the lace is worked, more, unworked, pattern comes up to be worked, on the front of the roller. It's loose, so add a pin or so at the edge, every now and then, to keep it firmly in place.  These edge pins get removed with the other pins as you work down the lace. (They've been well pushed in, so thumb-nail time! Or pin-lifter, of course.)

Since the pattern is loose except for the bit you're actually working (plus an inch or so below, depending on the edge pins), the whole pattern can 'walk' across the roller, so it ends up diagonal. A little effort when putting in the new edge pins can correct this tendency. Or just leave it, if it's not actually going to fall off the edge! Depends how long the piece of lace will be. 

Otherwise, I haven't found a problem with using the roller in this way. Roller pillows are brilliant! No more trying to work lace with bobbins hanging off the edge of the pillow and short threads to keep them working! The bobbins are always exactly where you want them, in the right place, and you really can make lace as long as you want.

thanks for the replies...now to find a pattern ...and spangle more bobbins...sigh!

You can work with unspangled bobbins, if you're itching to start. Lots of lacemaking cultures do, after all.

What Jo said above is brilliant, and I feel like an idiot for not figuring out that I didn't have to leave the pricking firmly pinned down except right around the area of work!  I am definitely going to try that approach next time, because I mostly work continuous lengths of trims and edgings.  Of course, none of my current projects include patterns that happen to match the ircumference of my roller, either, so I will have ample opportunity to try it!

I did a pattern yesterday... I will start and wind as I go...

Very pretty.  I also just love the color.  Will be waiting to see what your first project will be.  It might make me do something with mine..!

RSS

Translate This Site

Photos

Loading…

Notes

HOW THE SOFTWARE WORKS

Created by Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 7:07pm. Last updated by Administrator Dec 9, 2014.

PHOTOS

Created by Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 7:29pm. Last updated by Administrator Sep 2, 2014.

How to Post a Long Article

Created by Administrator Mar 7, 2013 at 4:47pm. Last updated by Administrator Mar 7, 2013.

COMMUNITY GUIDELINES

Created by Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 6:58pm. Last updated by Administrator Dec 20, 2012.

How to embed a video on the IOLI site

Created by Tatman Jan 25, 2012 at 3:26pm. Last updated by Administrator Jan 25, 2012.

Groups

Members

Badge

Loading…

Other Events

Laurie Waters has a very substantial EVENTS list on lacenews.

http://lacenews.net/lace-event-calendars/).   

EU Cookie Directive

© 2017   Created by Administrator.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service