I'm feeling guilty because last night, having given up on my thread for being too thick after working 1.5 inches of a Torchon learning piece, I cut off the threads, rewound the bobbins with thinner thread, and knotted them back on to the work!  It looks like a dogs breakfast with all the little knots and short ends, but this way I didn't have to start all over again.  It's just a practice piece (Pricking 3 from Pamela Nottingham's Torchon chapter) so once I get past the mess of knots I can keep going on the pattern that I've learned. I used the Weaver's Knot so I could snug the knots tightly up to the pins.

I know I should have pulled out all the pins, rewound the bobbins properly and started fresh, so I felt like I was living dangerously.

What crimes against Lace have other beginners committed?

Views: 330

Replies to This Discussion

If you do an OOps - and see it before you reach another 'marker" - like a corner, - then repeat the OOps each time - and it is no longer a mistake but it is a design feature!  I did this once with a little torchon square - as I reached the corner i worked in cloth stitch, - but when I turned the corner I did the square shape min half stitch - I have no idea why, - but luckily I noticed it when I reached the next corner, - so worked all corners the same - - and it looked OK -- ish!  I got away with it , anyway!!

Why not just insert one now so that it is not as noticeable?  Choosing a slightly thinner thread to secure it will make the fix a little less obvious.  Just a thought!

Administrator said:

In my photo above, there should be a square tally inside each oval space surrounded by gimp. But at the corner there is a great big hole. Now, holes are a legitimate way of interpreting the pattern, but there should have been a square tally where the hole is. Every time I look at that lace I cringe.

I don't think there really are any "crimes against lace", except for things like starch, glue or paint. Putting those things on hand made lace makes me shudder to just contemplate.

You learned some very useful things from your "crime" --

1.how important it is to match the thread size to the pricking (especially true for straight laces like torchon)

2. Knots really don't look too good, so it is wise to avoid them if at all possible. Honiton workers don't worry about knots because the thread is so fine you need a magnifying glass to see knots in it.

Some useful discussions:

http://laceioli.ning.com/group/bobblinlace-beginners/forum/topics/t... 

This one adds the distance between pins - 

http://laceioli.ning.com/group/bobblinlace-beginners/forum/topics/b...

Lorelei

Sharon

I just added a page explaining how to match thread size to pricking size. It is cobbled together from 2 other posts. It is lengthy, but it is the system I use. I hope it is clear enough to understand, and helpful.

http://laceioli.ning.com/group/threads/page/thread-size-for-prickin...

Lorelei

As usual, Lorelei, your system, and you guide lines for threads is excellent.  I think most of us can still cope with inches!!  Certainly anyone also doing patchwork probably still works in inches!

thanks, Liz

Thanks Lorelei, I've saved that for future reference. There was also a useful visual guide in a recent issue of 'Lace', the Lace Guild magazine in the UK which I've saved - you can hold the pricking up to the guide to read off the spacing between pins.

That sounds very useful.

OOh! Goody goody!! I must look out for my UK Lace magazine, then. I did not know there was a new one out yet! 

That sounds like a very useful chart.

RSS

Translate This Site

Photos

Loading…

Notes

HOW THE SOFTWARE WORKS

Created by Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 7:07pm. Last updated by Administrator Dec 9, 2014.

PHOTOS

Created by Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 7:29pm. Last updated by Administrator Sep 2, 2014.

How to Post a Long Article

Created by Administrator Mar 7, 2013 at 4:47pm. Last updated by Administrator Mar 7, 2013.

COMMUNITY GUIDELINES

Created by Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 6:58pm. Last updated by Administrator Dec 20, 2012.

How to embed a video on the IOLI site

Created by Tatman Jan 25, 2012 at 3:26pm. Last updated by Administrator Jan 25, 2012.

Groups

Members

Badge

Loading…

Other Events

Laurie Waters has a very substantial EVENTS list on lacenews.

http://lacenews.net/lace-event-calendars/).   

EU Cookie Directive

© 2017   Created by Administrator.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service