If you are not using wire, what would you use to stiffen your lace jewelry? I have tried starch but it just does not hold up well.

Views: 668

Replies to This Discussion

I've heard of people using acrylic spray.  I haven't used stiffeners myself, so I can't report on what works.  My personal inclination would be to use thread which is stiff in itself.  Some of the metallic and sparkly braid cords are quite stiff.

Have you tried making the jewelry using at least one pair of fishing-line "threads"?  The thickness of the line you use would have to depend on the other threads you're using.

If your lace is already made, you might still be able to run a stiff-enough fishing-line through at least the outer edges with a needle.  I haven't tried this myself, it's just an idea.

I have given a try using different threads, and stiffening with Moravia starcher. It is water soluble and you controlle the parts of water and starch, depending of the hardness you want to achieve.

If it is used without water, the starching is very strong. The only problem is that when the piece dries appears a fine white film. To avoid it you have to soak it with a paper towel. The result is good.

Tried your idea and it worked with only a little white film. I will blot better next time to avoid that. Thank you for the idea. I think I was just using a bad starch.

Carolina de la Guardia said:

I have given a try using different threads, and stiffening with Moravia starcher. It is water soluble and you controlle the parts of water and starch, depending of the hardness you want to achieve.

If it is used without water, the starching is very strong. The only problem is that when the piece dries appears a fine white film. To avoid it you have to soak it with a paper towel. The result is good.

Fine. Glad I could help!

Hair spray does a good job in stiffing some things.  Use the pump spray, cheap unscented brand. Place on waxed paper and spray. allow to dry.

Another trick is iron between two sheets of waxed paper.

Debbie Beaver introduced me to Memory Thread, Color Infusions by DMC. It makes an awesome gimp that  adds stiffness. Julia

There is a product called Fa-Brick, sold on the internet.  A lot of tatters use it and when the piece is stiffened it stays stiffened.

Hi Patty,
I have one question: what happens when it comes of black lace? Does it appears a white film on it?
I understand that it is the main problem...
Thanks

Carolina

I will have to try this stuff, I have never heard of it before. Hopefully with dark colors it won't leave a white film. While the one I am presently trying to stiffen is light colored the next one is much darker.

Patty Dowden said:

There is a product called Fa-Brick, sold on the internet.  A lot of tatters use it and when the piece is stiffened it stays stiffened.

Thanks Patty.  I am almost out of my 'Stiffy' stiffener, but I have now ordered some of the Fa-Brick to try it out.  The Stiffy works OK, but lately I stiffen a tatted item and sometimes it's stiff, but sometimes only a bit.  Time to try a new product.  Thanks for the information on it.

Patty Dowden said:

RSS

Translate This Site

Notes

HOW THE SOFTWARE WORKS

Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 7:07pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Dec 9, 2014.

PHOTOS

Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 7:29pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Sep 2, 2014.

How to Post a Long Article

Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator Mar 7, 2013 at 4:47pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Mar 7, 2013.

COMMUNITY GUIDELINES

Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 6:58pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Dec 20, 2012.

How to embed a video on the IOLI site

Created by Tatman Jan 25, 2012 at 3:26pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Jan 25, 2012.

Groups

Members

Badge

Loading…

Other Events

Laurie Waters has a very substantial EVENTS list on lacenews.

http://lacenews.net/lace-event-calendars/).   

EU Cookie Directive

© 2018   Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service