Is there any difference in the way that Idrija stitches are made on a Bolster pillow vs. a flat pillow?

Views: 2394

Replies to This Discussion

I thought I would reply to this conversation even though it is a few years old. I made a flat pillow and I am getting ready to make a bolster pillow. After searching the web I have come up with a plan. I want the bolster to be light in weight but not so light as to move. For the core I am going to use a " swimming noodle" float type thing you can purchase here in the U.S. for a few dollars. At the fabric store you can buy high density foam by the yard and 100% wool felt on the bolt. Muslin casing and a cover. When I finish making I will post a picture here. The high density foam plus the wool felt works great on the flat pillow I made, so I am hoping for the same result for the bolster pillow.

Vicki, just consider that it should be heavy enough to stay in place when you tug (?pull) the bobbins. The narrow tape must be made tightly so much tugging is involved.

I should weigh my bolster to see how heavy it is.  I bought it from The Lacemaker when she was still in business.  The density is good, but it's not too heavy or bulky - it is completely stuffed with wood shavings.  I carry it around in a collapsable fabric market basket.  It's in the background in this picture: Pillow and Winder

It came with a wood stand, although I had to tie some grippy tape onto the stand so the pillow wouldn't slide or roll on the stand while tensioning.  It's a very different style of working, especially if you are accustomed to working on a cookie, but I prefer working palms up and letting gravity be my friend when lacing. 

The pool noodle is hollow, right?  I suppose if you need a little more weight but want to keep the size down you can stuff something into the center of the noodle before you sew it all shut.

Nancy M. Terselic said:

The pillow looks just what we use here in Slovenia. To make  up for the appropriate weight a wood log of suitable size to go in the bolster was traditionally used, then the inner pillow is filled with saw dust, the pillow is sewn shut, then the outer pillow is pulled over it and tied shut. The outer pillow is tied, not sewn so it may be taken off and washed when dirty. Or you may replace it with a pillow made of fabric of a different colour/pattern.

I should weigh my bolster to see how heavy it is.  I bought it from The Lacemaker when she was still in business.  The density is good, but it's not too heavy or bulky - it is completely stuffed with wood shavings.  I carry it around in a collapsable fabric market basket.  It's in the background in this picture: Pillow and Winder

It came with a wood stand, although I had to tie some grippy tape onto the stand so the pillow wouldn't slide or roll on the stand while tensioning.  It's a very different style of working, especially if you are accustomed to working on a cookie, but I prefer working palms up and letting gravity be my friend when lacing. 

The pool noodle is hollow, right?  I suppose if you need a little more weight but want to keep the size down you can stuff something into the center of the noodle before you sew it all shut.

I have thought about the weight, the pool noodle is hollow so I would think I could put something in the center for weight. Maybe someone could weigh their pillow and post the weight here? Thanks.

My kitchen scale stops at 16oz and my bathroom scale isn't fine enough... if I had to guesstimate, my pillow with a few pairs of bobbins hung on it is no more than 4-5 pounds, max.  Probably closer to 3-4.  Not as heavy as a 5lb bag of flour.

Ladka,

I choose the pillow I did because my family is from Slovenia and I wanted to make lace the Slovenian way.  My dream would be to attend the school in Idrija!  As you describe, the red cover on my pillow is tied on with drawstrings at both ends and is removable.  It fits loosely so I can catch the cover over the edges of my pricking when I pin it to the pillow.

Ladka said:

My long pillow, a very old one, has 3.1 kg, the newest one has only 1,6 kg (it's a bit light). I didn't weigh my third one.

Nancy M. Terselic said:

The pillow looks just what we use here in Slovenia. To make  up for the appropriate weight a wood log of suitable size to go in the bolster was traditionally used, then the inner pillow is filled with saw dust, the pillow is sewn shut, then the outer pillow is pulled over it and tied shut. The outer pillow is tied, not sewn so it may be taken off and washed when dirty. Or you may replace it with a pillow made of fabric of a different colour/pattern.

Nancy M. Terselic said:

My kitchen scale stops at 16oz and my bathroom scale isn't fine enough... if I had to guesstimate, my pillow with a few pairs of bobbins hung on it is no more than 4-5 pounds, max.  Probably closer to 3-4.  Not as heavy as a 5lb bag of flour.

Thank you Nancy, that information helps. Got my weekend project set! Yay!
I just was thinking how much I enjoy watching some of the videos of the ladies making idrija lace. Thankfully we have the Internet at our fingertips. But it would be wonderful to walk out your door to your neighbors house and talk lace or make lace.

Vicki,

In fact I don't live in Idrija but in Kranj, about 50 km away, over the hills. I visit their lace festival every summer in spite of the nasty road :)

This week there is a festival of Slovenian lace (tape lace) in Žiri, on the way to Idrija, 30 km from Kranj, but on my side of the hills. I spent a lovely day there and admired some masterpieces of traditional and modern lace. You can have a look at them on Flickr, lpmami, Klekljane čipke - Bobbin lace

I like to look through the lace photos on mojalbum.com:  Klekljanje  

Ladka,

My family is originally from Vihre and I still have cousins down there and in Ljubljana.  Unfortunately, it's been 7 years since I was last in Slovenia. 

Nancy - thanks for that link. I'm going to look through them all this week.

Ladka - Can you give us an exact link to the flickr page that you refer to? I tried to do a search on flickr on those words but didn't get any result.

Lorelei

RSS

Translate This Site

Notes

HOW THE SOFTWARE WORKS

Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 7:07pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Dec 9, 2014.

PHOTOS

Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 7:29pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Sep 2, 2014.

How to Post a Long Article

Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator Mar 7, 2013 at 4:47pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Mar 7, 2013.

COMMUNITY GUIDELINES

Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 6:58pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Dec 20, 2012.

How to embed a video on the IOLI site

Created by Tatman Jan 25, 2012 at 3:26pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Jan 25, 2012.

Groups

Members

Badge

Loading…

Events

Other Events

Laurie Waters has a very substantial EVENTS list on lacenews.

http://lacenews.net/lace-event-calendars/).   

EU Cookie Directive

© 2020   Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service