Hello,

I started trying to learn bobbin lace recently. Here is the same pattern worked in black linen and also silky shiny rayon thread. 

Now I'm going through some of the books I purchased, trying not to bite off more than I can chew and parse through the variation in direction. 

Hopefully will be meeting with others soon in my area.

Thanks for looking!

Views: 91

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This looks fantastic, well done!

Thank you very much! I find i really am drawn to the idea of making a long strip. I wanted to keep going after I had reached the bottom of my pillow. Hopefully this week I will have time to make a canvas bolster pillow filled with packed sand and find a nice torchon pattern I can work through. 

Michelle Hutchinson said:

This looks fantastic, well done!

That sounds like a great idea! Our guild had us do a few samplers to learn a number of patterns and techniques before embarking on someone big. It can be a nice way to learn some new stitches

Your black lace is too far away a shot for me to see how you did. But your blue lace is quite clear. I see no mistakes. You are doing just fine. That is torchon ground, probably the most common ground used is torchon bobbin lace. It is a great place to start. Grounds are always (or nearly always) worked in a diagonal line -- faster and more efficient that way. Have you done a cloth stitch and half stitch strip?

I would avoid a sand filled pillow. I have not heard of that being use. For one thing, it would be way too heavy to move around. Some people have used sawdust. I made one of those, but found that making it produced a huge amount of dust, and affected my breathing for a week afterwards. It is also quite heavy. The traditional material is "sea grass". I have never understood whether that term refers to what we call "sea weed"  (algae) or grass growing near or on the beach.

I have info on my website about using woven wool.   http://lynxlace.com/makeapillow.html

I also suggest you look at Jo Edkins' website, where she has a large number of free patterns for beginners.

http://www.gwydir.demon.co.uk/jo/lace/index.htm

Oh? Sand isnt traditionally used? You're right, sand is pretty heavy...and I cant remember where I read to use packed sand. Lol

I've looked through about ... 15-20 publications on lacemaking recently and I cant remember for the life of me where I read that. Whoops! :)

Straw hay and saw dust will definitely bother allergies in my house, so I'll opt for wool then. It will be lighter too! 

I didnt bother posting a close up of the black lace because it just looks exactly like the pink and blue lace. Working on the black lace made me realize I need a round pillow I can turm, but I wanted to test non slippery thread (linen) and something silky to see how difficult pretty silky thread was. Just starting and already wanting to "get away" with stuff. :D

Lorelei Halley Administrator said:

Your black lace is too far away a shot for me to see how you did. But your blue lace is quite clear. I see no mistakes. You are doing just fine. That is torchon ground, probably the most common ground used is torchon bobbin lace. It is a great place to start. Grounds are always (or nearly always) worked in a diagonal line -- faster and more efficient that way. Have you done a cloth stitch and half stitch strip?

I would avoid a sand filled pillow. I have not heard of that being use. For one thing, it would be way too heavy to move around. Some people have used sawdust. I made one of those, but found that making it produced a huge amount of dust, and affected my breathing for a week afterwards. It is also quite heavy. The traditional material is "sea grass". I have never understood whether that term refers to what we call "sea weed"  (algae) or grass growing near or on the beach.

I have info on my website about using woven wool.   http://lynxlace.com/makeapillow.html

I actually found that website first! Im not sure if they're aware, but their website comes up as broken in google if you search for bobbin lace, and google isnt offering the correct path to the website unless then you copy and paste the website addy and then search for that. Google doea a search on the nomworking link and then finds the closest thing, the working one.

But yes, if you search bobbin lace on google the website comes up but it's a broken link result after result. Could be affexting traffic to the website.

The link you just sent me works fine though. :)

Lorelei Halley Administrator said:

I also suggest you look at Jo Edkins' website, where she has a large number of free patterns for beginners.

http://www.gwydir.demon.co.uk/jo/lace/index.htm

She recently added the www to her web address so some Google searches are still not updated. Glad you've found it
!

That makes sense! 

Michelle Hutchinson said:

She recently added the www to her web address so some Google searches are still not updated. Glad you've found it
!

Many people use pillows made from a sheet of polystyrene, the stuff builders use for insulation or "self healing foam" from electronic packaging for instance. Cut to the desired shape and size, cover with a nice layer of felt for noise reduction and a fabric cover for a smooth surface and pleasant look and you are good to go.

There are some simple patterns for beginners on my website also. Since Jo Edkins has focused mostly on torchon, Bucks and Beds, I have concentrated on posting tutorials for braid based/plait based laces, and bobbin tape lace.

Look for the links: Cloth Stitch Lesson, Plaited lace lesson (7), and Tape Lace Lessons. Also Square 3, and Grounds.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Translate This Site

Notes

HOW THE SOFTWARE WORKS

Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 7:07pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Dec 9, 2014.

PHOTOS

Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 7:29pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Sep 2, 2014.

How to Post a Long Article

Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator Mar 7, 2013 at 4:47pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Mar 7, 2013.

COMMUNITY GUIDELINES

Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 6:58pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Dec 20, 2012.

How to embed a video on the IOLI site

Created by Tatman Jan 25, 2012 at 3:26pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Jan 25, 2012.

Members

Badge

Loading…

Events

Other Events

Laurie Waters has a very substantial EVENTS list on lacenews.

http://lacenews.net/lace-event-calendars/).   

EU Cookie Directive

© 2019   Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service