Looks a lot like the earlier piece I posted but I'm usually wrong so I need the experts!

Views: 31

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This one is a Duchesse, which was what Brussels developed into. I use the Term Brussels for continental part laces of the 18th century. It was the precursor to Duchesse, and Duchesse existed in the last half of the 19th century.  (It has been washed so the motifs have lost some of their fine shape.)

Many collectors use the term "Brussels Duchesse" for Duchesse which has needle lace inserts. (This piece does not, as far as I can see.) And they call this kind, without needle lace inserts, "Duchesse de Bruges". 

But I find their terminology confusing and not helpful. Duchesse style remains the same whether it has needle lace in it or not.  Also there is another type of lace called Bruges Bloomwork, dating from around 1900, which is a much simplified form of Duchesse, or perhaps a simplified successor.

Here are my pinterest boards which can illustrate these kinds, for comparison.

https://www.pinterest.com/lynxlacelady/brussels-point-de-angleterre...

https://www.pinterest.com/lynxlacelady/duchesse-bobbin-lace/

https://www.pinterest.com/lynxlacelady/bruges-bloomwork/

Lorelei

The distinction between Brussels, Duchesse, and Bruges Bloomwork is mostly a question of style, and complexity, with small distinctions of technique (most of which are probably not visible unless you take the lace apart).

Brussels used flowers of many different shapes and often each petal was outlined with a narrow rib which had pins on only one side. Many imaginative shapes for flowers and leaves occurred. There are so many different ones I can't say if there was a standard set of motifs.

Duchesse was simplified, and it did have a standard set of motifs, some simple, some very complex. It was a large set of motifs, but distinct. There could be a narrow rib outlining some parts, or a wrapped bundle of threads. But nowhere near the quantity typical of Brussels.

Bruges Bloomwork used a much reduced set of standard motifs (perhaps a dozen or 18), which were always made the same way. Each piece was just a group of some of these few motifs. There is no raised work.

Lorelei

Thanks!

Administrator said:

The distinction between Brussels, Duchesse, and Bruges Bloomwork is mostly a question of style, and complexity, with small distinctions of technique (most of which are probably not visible unless you take the lace apart).

Brussels used flowers of many different shapes and often each petal was outlined with a narrow rib which had pins on only one side. Many imaginative shapes for flowers and leaves occurred. There are so many different ones I can't say if there was a standard set of motifs.

Duchesse was simplified, and it did have a standard set of motifs, some simple, some very complex. It was a large set of motifs, but distinct. There could be a narrow rib outlining some parts, or a wrapped bundle of threads. But nowhere near the quantity typical of Brussels.

Bruges Bloomwork used a much reduced set of standard motifs (perhaps a dozen or 18), which were always made the same way. Each piece was just a group of some of these few motifs. There is no raised work.

Lorelei

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Translate This Site

Photos

Loading…

Notes

HOW THE SOFTWARE WORKS

Created by Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 7:07pm. Last updated by Administrator Dec 9, 2014.

PHOTOS

Created by Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 7:29pm. Last updated by Administrator Sep 2, 2014.

How to Post a Long Article

Created by Administrator Mar 7, 2013 at 4:47pm. Last updated by Administrator Mar 7, 2013.

COMMUNITY GUIDELINES

Created by Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 6:58pm. Last updated by Administrator Dec 20, 2012.

How to embed a video on the IOLI site

Created by Tatman Jan 25, 2012 at 3:26pm. Last updated by Administrator Jan 25, 2012.

Groups

Members

Badge

Loading…

Events

Other Events

Laurie Waters has a very substantial EVENTS list on lacenews.

http://lacenews.net/lace-event-calendars/).   

EU Cookie Directive

© 2017   Created by Administrator.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service