This is an old pattern which I got with a straw filled roller pillow. No annotations! It's Bedford, I think - bought in Cambridge which was on the edge of the Bedford lacing making area. I am NOT an expert on Beds lace!

Some of it looks like cloth trails, because of lots of pinholes bordering them. Maybe something like a 9 nine headside (although atypical). A footside of course. I've posted the original, plus my ideas of how to work it. My queries are:

How are the cloth trails held together? There needs to be something going from one to its neighbour to stop the whole lace falling apart. Plaits? Wouldn't they indicate where? Or twisted pairs? Surely not one pair for every pin!

And there are clusters of three holes next to the footside - fairly spaced out. Ground? A bit far apart. I can't think of a Beds device which needs three holes.

Any ideas would be really appreciated. I'd like to work it to illustrate a talk in Cambridge as an example of (possibly) local lace. The pattern itself isn't really enough! (It's for non-lacemakers.)

By the way, I thought I'd posted this into the main area yesterday, but I can't see it today. Perhaps I forgot to click on Post! Or it's ended up somewhere else, or is there and my computer can't see it. If so, apologies for double posting. A separate discussion is more appropriate, anyway.

Views: 494

Replies to This Discussion

Jo - It is great fun to watch you working through this problem.

I have found, when working cucumbers, that one should Always use the same number bobbin for the worker, and the central passive crosses from one side to the other - always in the same direction, - i'e #2 for the worker and #3 for the passive which crosses and becomes #2 (the #2 worker becomes #3),  Light catches tallies and especially in a row of cucumbers it will show up if you don't have consistency.  I had a piece that I was happy with - mainly - but could not see why I did not like the footside, - and eventually I worked out that it was the cucumbers that were worked one way and the other, - not all in the same direction.

Traditional Beds - Do it how you feel is right.!!!!!!! (I am going Radical again!!)

This is my latest attempt:

This looks good. But I see that you connected the 2 outermost trails by normal tallies. The point about using cucumber tallies or kiss stitches is that neither of those affects the number of passives in either trail. Cucumbers and stitches maintain the trails in a full complement of passive pairs. That is why they exist. I urge you to try it, even though you don't like them. Wide, fat, very short tallies are just as easy to do as normal tallies.

I'm not an expert at Beds, but I have done a few pieces. I love the way it looks. But  it has a tendency to need pairs added and all sorts of decisions made virtually every time I set a pin. Sometimes I just want something simple minded, mechanical, where what to do is obvious without too much thinking required. Maybe it's just old age.

I don't understand. How do cucumber tallies not affect the number of passives in a trail? I thought they WERE just wide fat very short tallies? In which case, they need to go in a direction, which means that they leave one trail and join the other. So that alters the number of passives. Have I misunderstood something?

Looking at the picture (last page) it looks as if the cucumbers zigzag back and forth. So they still alter the number of passives, but only for a short while. Is that right? It makes the trails tedious to work, as you have to do them at the same time - as I did my first version. This one was a lot quicker - I did half of each trail at a time, and the plaits/cucumbers moved from one side to the next, ending up in the bud, then I did half of each trail back again. I found it quite easy! (But then I designed it.)

Looking at lace in my collection

http://gwydir.demon.co.uk/jo/lace/collection/lace59.htm

http://gwydir.demon.co.uk/jo/lace/collection/lace64.htm

http://gwydir.demon.co.uk/jo/lace/collection/lace66.htm

they seem to frequently change the number of passives in the trails, especially the headside one.

Jo, Cucumber tallies are usually wider than they are long, as they are made using one pair from each trail, and then the tally fills the gap between the trails.  If you look here http://laceioli.ning.com/photo/small-mat?context=user -- one of my pieces  - a small round mat mounted on burgundy card, -  (ff the link does not work properly check Photos, and go to my albums and the Beds Lace album under my name.- it just came up as the first one shown  - on this computer which seems to have a mind of it's own!!) All the tallies between the 2 outer trails, and also just inside the foot side trail, are all cucumbers. I take a pair from the left trail, and a pair from the right trail, and use bobbin #2 as the worker, - and make a square tally. I end with the worker in #3 position, and bobbin #3 ends up in #2 position -m so you get the diagonal passive across the centre of the tally. the pairs then just go back into the trail, and continue working as before, - so there are none left out,l none added, - just diverted for one pin hole!!!

I hope this helps.

Liz's explanation is good. Here is a simplified diagram. Kiss on left, cucumber on right.  It is only the weaver which leaves the trail. But the weaver from the other trails moves in to be the new weaver. Both these manoevers simply exchange weavers between trails, and don't affect the passives at all. (I never can remember how to spell that m word.)

Jo, I looked at your 3 examples, but don't see any cucumbers or kiss stitches in those particular pieces.

I did not see any cucumber tallies in those 3 pieces, either.

Jo, - work them like a square tally - but shorter - and wider!

Ah!!! I now understand cucumbers. (I had, indeed, thought they were short square tallies.) They are at right angles to tallies!
But they are not the only way to join the trails. To show the original photo you posted, as I understand it, red circle is a cucumber, green a tally, pink a plait (or leg or bride), and yellow a kiss stitch. So it's really complicated. Might be more fun to do something with just cucumbers.

RSS

Translate This Site

Notes

HOW THE SOFTWARE WORKS

Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 7:07pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Dec 9, 2014.

PHOTOS

Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 7:29pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Sep 2, 2014.

How to Post a Long Article

Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator Mar 7, 2013 at 4:47pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Mar 7, 2013.

COMMUNITY GUIDELINES

Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 6:58pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Dec 20, 2012.

How to embed a video on the IOLI site

Created by Tatman Jan 25, 2012 at 3:26pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Jan 25, 2012.

Groups

Members

Badge

Loading…

Events

Other Events

Laurie Waters has a very substantial EVENTS list on lacenews.

http://lacenews.net/lace-event-calendars/).   

EU Cookie Directive

© 2020   Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service