Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had a good resource, or advice, on how to begin a new thread when a bobbin runs out.

I have been working from the book "Lessons in Lace Making" by Doris Southard. Although I find this to be an excellent teaching text, the brief instructions she give on mending a thread is not clear to me at all. I find myself overestimating the bobbin thread length needed for each project in fear one will run out.

Ken

Views: 882

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ken, there are 2 ways that I know of.

1. Use a weaver's knot to tie the old and new threads together.  The knot is very small and not really visible once it is worked into the lace.  See http://laceioli.ning.com/group/bobblinlace-beginners/page/bobbin-la... for a series of diagrams, about 1/4 down the page.  The weaver's knot is good where your thread breaks close to the lace.  If you have even 1/2 inch, you can still catch that little tail with a weaver's knot.  But it can be used when the bobbin is running out of thread.

2. Work 2 lengths of thread together for a short distance.  Hang a new bobbin on a pin, with a knot, about an inch or 2 directly above where the empty bobbin is.  Take the thread off the old bobbin and wind it onto the new bobbin for about 1 or 2 feet.  Make the hitch, treating the 2 threads as if they were 1 thread.  Work these two threads into the lace as if they were 1 thread for about 1-2 inches.  Friction will hold the thread.  After 2 inches of lace, cut the old thread off flush with the lace.

Please, anybody who can say this clearer, or with other ideas, join in.

Ioli,

Thanks to you I have just had my first lacemaking "aha moment". This information is so much clearer than all my reference books combined. I was trying to understand the second method and from the directions my impression that it was the old bobbin that is put up on the pin. I just could not wrap my head around any probable way that this could work. Now I am never going to fear changing thrads again!

On a side note, I just began my pricking for the R11. I do not have a cookie pillow as of yet, but plan to improvise until it arrives. I am very eager to try this pattern. My pattern is 13.5" square so it is a good size for my first larger project.

Thanks again for all your help!

Ken

Kenneth

For a torchon design, which is an edging, a roller pillow or a bolster will work just as well as a cookie.  The cookie pillow just  makes turning corners easier.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Translate This Site

Notes

HOW THE SOFTWARE WORKS

Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 7:07pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Dec 9, 2014.

PHOTOS

Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 7:29pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Sep 2, 2014.

How to Post a Long Article

Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator Mar 7, 2013 at 4:47pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Mar 7, 2013.

COMMUNITY GUIDELINES

Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 6:58pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Dec 20, 2012.

How to embed a video on the IOLI site

Created by Tatman Jan 25, 2012 at 3:26pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Jan 25, 2012.

Groups

Members

Badge

Loading…

Events

Other Events

Laurie Waters has a very substantial EVENTS list on lacenews.

http://lacenews.net/lace-event-calendars/).   

EU Cookie Directive

© 2020   Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service