I have been tatting for a long time and can hide my ends quite well.  Bobbin lace is a whole other thing.  Most of what I've done is tape lace and you just sort of tuck the threads under and starch in place, but I want to know if there is some technique to actually hide the ends.  I've found no evidence of this, but it seems terribly sloppy.  Anyone out there have resources or experience?

Views: 288

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Most assuredly there are logical, useful ways to hide ends in bobbin lace.  I was fortunate enough to take a class with Ulrike following her book The Beginning of the End.  (The title is much more clever in German!)

The basic premise is to have a plan for the end when you start the beginning, so that the ends can hide behind solid cloth stitch and away from the edges.  A long time ago, I gave up on Torchon and Beds because my ends were so lumpy.  Then I learned to master the ends from Ulrike.

The fundamental idea is to keep the ends of the worker pair away from the edge by understanding the basic properties of different kinds of starts.  So, say you have 5 pairs of passives in a tape.  Start the worker in the middle with the 3rd pair.  Work the piece and work the first 2 pairs of the tape and knot to the beginning loop of the worker.  Starting at the very edge leaves you nowhere to go.

In the book, Ulrike discusses every possible combination of edges and stitches from Torchon to Binche.  it was like a PHD course and worth every bit of brain power I could put into it.

Ends are my downfall, too.  I'm getting a little better at it.

I'll add that to my IOLI library wants... though I've had not so great luck getting the book I really want.  It's a waiting hoping game.

Let me suggest Practical Skills in Bobbin Lace by Cook and Stott, Kloppeln, Handbuch mit 400 Tricks and Kniffen, by Ulrike Lohr and Unsichtbar, Invisible, hidden starts and finishes in bobbin lace by Martina Wolter-Kampmann.

It should not be necessary to use starch to conceal threads. Generally speaking, you sew in the pairs to the end or side of another tape, and then knot them off. If you want to end a tape in free air as neatly as you started it there are techniques from Withof that you could find in a Withof book that do this. There are actually as many different ways of ending neatly as there are different places that you have to end in, so it is hard to prescribe one without knowing the exact context. To some extent it also depends on how much time you want to spend hiding the threads. There are things you can do with a needle for people who are very particular.

Unfortunately, the techniques for ending neatly are among those that are well suited to "in person" instruction rather than from book instruction. It would be nice if some humanitarian will make a series of Youtubes of them.

Good evening everyone.  I am new to this site but would like to add something to this discussion.  I have the Martina Wolter-Kampman book "Invisible"  and find it wonderful as it came with a DVD showing all the techniques.  I am one of those people who understand better seeing things done than reading instructions!

Hello Jeanette.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Translate This Site

Notes

HOW THE SOFTWARE WORKS

Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 7:07pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Dec 9, 2014.

PHOTOS

Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 7:29pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Sep 2, 2014.

How to Post a Long Article

Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator Mar 7, 2013 at 4:47pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Mar 7, 2013.

COMMUNITY GUIDELINES

Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator Jan 19, 2012 at 6:58pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Dec 20, 2012.

How to embed a video on the IOLI site

Created by Tatman Jan 25, 2012 at 3:26pm. Last updated by Lorelei Halley Administrator Jan 25, 2012.

Groups

Members

Badge

Loading…

Other Events

Laurie Waters has a very substantial EVENTS list on lacenews.

http://lacenews.net/lace-event-calendars/).   

EU Cookie Directive

© 2020   Created by Lorelei Halley Administrator.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service